cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple guide to setting up Wordpress site on new CGI space?

dbsmith
Dabbler

Simple guide to setting up Wordpress site on new CGI space?

hi all,
is there a simple guide anywhere to help ke set up a new website using wordpress for my domain?  I was under the impression that this new migration would help simplify things but can't find out any infoon how to do this.
thx
Dave
7 REPLIES 7
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Simple guide to setting up Wordpress site on new CGI space?

Should be pretty straight forward. Upload the files, run the installer and when asked for database details use those from the MySQL manager in the Hosting Control Panel. To point a domain to the new platform you'll need to set up a couple of additional domain records and raise a support ticket.
in fact if you raise a support ticket asking for it to be done then we can probably sort it all out for you.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The reason the new CCGI webspace makes things easier, is that it has more up-to-date versions of everything - basically you can treat it like most other "standard" Linux (not Windows) -based hosted webspace.  There are no "weird" Plusnet-only changes to be made to any configuration procedures.  Therefore, installing Wordpress is just a case of following Wordpress.org's own simple instructions linked from http://wordpress.org/download/
Linking a domain name to your CCGI webspace is a matter of submitting a request to Plusnet, as Bob said.
The Wordpress.org instructions ask you to make sure you are able to do the following things.  Accessing your CCGI webspace via FTP is a matter of setting your FTP password on the new CCGI control panel https://hosting.plus.net/portal/ and then using it with your FTP program of choice.  Creating a MySQL database is a matter of using the new CCGI control panel, and making a note of the relevant details.
HTH.
dbsmith
Dabbler

thanks both, but far from straightforward for a non-website-expert like me. I've managed to get the wordpress files onto the server via ftp, but can't run the installation script in the wordpress folder via browser  as per the install instructions,(requested URL does notexist on this server)  also there doesn't seem to be any way to create a new mysql database although one does seem tp have been created already ( or do I only get one, already configured ??).
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Are you trying to install WordPress by browsing to your username domain or your new domain? If it's the latter have the server domain maps been updated (Plusnet should tell you via your ticket) and DNS record changes promulgated?
You can use the existing (migrated) MySQL database as long as it is of type mysql5, or create a new one using MySQL Manager. You should find the user information for the existing MySQL database in a configuration file for the package it was originally installed for.
David
dbsmith
Dabbler

by browsing to my ccgi.username.plus.com/wordpress/wp-admin directory.....and then running the install.php  . I've also done a chmod toballow all users to execute, also didn't work.
cheers
dave
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Did you put your wordpress directory under (ie into) your /public directory, so for FTP purposes the WordPress files are in and below /public/wordpress ? There should be need to to change (chmod) any file permissions and PHP files do not need execute permission on the new server.
David
dbsmith
Dabbler

no,I didn't ... wasn't aware that I needed to do this.I'll retry. thx
UPDATE - all working fine now, thanks for the help.
DS