cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing files using PN webspace

Mav
Fixes: 515

Sharing files using PN webspace

I'm sure I've done this before without problem but, presently, if I upload a RAR (230MB) file containing photos I want to share with my family any attempt to download requests the webspace login/password details which, for obvious reasons, I do not want to give out.
I used CUTFTP to upload to /htdocs folder.
Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

11 REPLIES 11
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Sharing files using PN webspace

Mav,
If you want me to have a play to see if I can replicate the problem send me the file name by PM
Mav

Thanks for the offer, oldjim, but I've removed the file now for now. Shouldn't have as it took over 40 minutes to upload Cheesy
My daughter also got the request for the login/password details on her laptop.
I have uploaded another rar with just 1 photo to the same folder and the above still requests the login/password.
On reflection I think I gave the wrong URL (ftp://ftp.plus.net/htdocs/Kay%20Birthday.rar). But trying www.PNname.plus.com/htdocs/kay_birthday.rar gives "Access Error: 404 -- Not Found".

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Oldjim
Resting Legend

You did - you don't give the FTP link
The correct link is www.myusername.plus.com/filename
Mav

Thanks.
But using www.myusername.plus.com/filename is still giving the 'Access Error: 404 -- Not Found' error. As far as I know the filename is case sensitive and must include the extension (.rar in this case) and I have checked for this.
So, next question, should the file be placed in the thdocs folder or elsewhere?
Edit: CuteFTP wouldn't allow me to load the file to the root folder (the folder containing htdocs).

Mav

Problem solved.
I was just entering myusername.plus.com/filename

... as soon as I entered www.myusername.plus.com/username then all is well Smiley
Edit: I am interested in knowing why omitting the 'www.' would make such a difference?

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Did you mean to say that you needed to put the username in twice or was that a typo
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Mav
Edit: I am interested in knowing why omitting the 'www.' would make such a difference?

Because without the www by default it points to your router not the web server!
Uploading a file that size to your Plusnet web space is not a good idea. It's probably dangerously close to the maximum amount you can have on your webspace and if two or more people download it on the same day you'll get nasty emails from the abuse department and your entire website will be removed.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anonymous
Not applicable

You might exceed the webspace traffic limit of 250MB per day limit if just one person downloads the 230MB file on the same day as you uploaded it ? Give it 24 hours to be safe !  Undecided
Mav

@oldjim - yes, a typo Embarrassed
@jelv That explains about the www bit.
Thanks for the warning about the file size. As it was only my daughter to download and I was going to remove as soon as she had anyway I didn't foresee any issues but I take your point. Probably better to use SkyDrive or Dropbox next time. Dunno why I forgot about those this time Undecided
@purleigh Thanks for additional info. Hate those 'naughty schoolboy' type emails when you have gone over the limit.

kdiment
Rising Star

Mav,
Just a thought - 230MB is space enough for quite a lot of very large images. Is your daughter going to print 20"x30" posters of these pictures?
If they are just to be viewed on a monitor or printed at, say, 6"x4" then resolutions of about 1500x1000 pixels would be mored than adequate, and each image file needs to occupy only perhaps 100kB.
Modern digital cameras produce files that are much bigger than most people need for most purposes. Fine for the occasional picture that really needs it, but very wasteful otherwise. I think there are many ways of reducing image files sizes to make them more suitable for sharing. Worth considering?
Keith
Mav

Fair point but, with so many other things going on (large report to be completed for my OU course this weekend, searching for a new property) plus my daughter fussing to see the photos, I just wanted to get them on line as quick as possible without to much faffing about. Well, sort of worked, although the upload was in excess of 40 minutes at least my part would have been done.
Anyway, what I didn't make clear is that I logged on to my daughter's Laptop using LogMeIn and entered the password myself.
Next time I'll have time to reduce sizes, etc... 3 years when she's 21 Cheesy Grin