Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup guides for Joomla or Wordpress

TLE
Grafter

Setup guides for Joomla or Wordpress

Hi all,
Not sure if this is the correct place to post, but it seems the most appropriate.
I have looked around but I haven't been able to find any guides to installling either wordpress or joomla
on the new platform.  Starting with installling the package through too configuring the application. Do they exist? or can someone point me in the right direction.
Thanks
TLE
14 REPLIES 14
TLE
Grafter

Re: Setup guides for Joomla or Wordpress

Wow no replies! Is it just a case of muddling through and posting here when you run into problems?
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks in advance.
TLE  Smiley
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

You could have a read of other threads in this forum which cover this question.
In particular help installing wordpress! possibly demonstrates a pitfall to avoid. Smiley
The essential thing is to set the file permissions correctly, using Gabe's script - and avoid DIY attempts using FTP.
Installing WordPress took me no more than 10 minutes.
David
David
Cign
Grafter

Having recently installed Wordpress and managed to get it to work first time much to my amazement, I can appreciate some of the problems if you have not done this before. Reading the setup guides on the Wordpress site is a good start but some of the PlusNet guides are out of date as the CCGI platform has been altered somewhat. I made a few notes as I made my install and have rehashed them below. I make no guarantees and I am sure the more learned amongst us will jump in to make corrections where neccessary. Hope this helps a bit.

Setting Up Wordpress on PlusNet
Before loading Wordpress a few other bits and pieces need to be done. You should be aware that Wordpress can only operate from the CCGI server. Anything to do with the Home Pages server is irrelevant as far as Wordpress is concerned.
1. Go to the PlusNet Portal front page and login. Navigate to the My Account – Website settings and  enable CGI and MySQL. The CGI can take up to 4 hours to be switched on and percolate its way through the system you should get an e-mail with the login details.  MySQL  activation is automatic and you should get an e-mail within a few minutes giving you various login details. Sometimes the automatic e-mail system fails and you will have to contact support and ask them to send the e-mail.
2. If you want to use a domain name with your Wordpress site you will have to ask support to point this at the CCGI server for you. It is a good idea to have this in place before installing Wordpress as it saves trying to alter things later.
3. The only type of access to the CCGI server is FTP so you will need an FTP client, there are plenty of free programs available. I use  FireFTP which is an add on to Firefox and works well.
4. Download your copy of Wordpress from http://Wordpress.org  to your own computer. Unzip the download into an empty directory the name doesn’t matter, Windows will offer to name it for you something like ‘wordpress-2.9.2’ .
5. In this directory you will find the complete directory structure and all the files for your Wordpress install. The top directory name is unsurprisingly ‘wordpress’. Go into this directory and find a file named ‘wp-config-sample.php’. Open this file in a text editor, Notepad will do (DON’T use a wordprocessor).  In this file you will find the following lines:-
[tt]/** The name of the database for WordPress */
define('DB_NAME', 'putyourdbnamehere');
/** MySQL database username */
define('DB_USER', 'usernamehere');
/** MySQL database password */
define('DB_PASSWORD', 'yourpasswordhere');
/** MySQL hostname */
define('DB_HOST', 'localhost');[/tt]
edit this with the details that are in your MySQL activation e-mail:
‘putyourdbnamehere’ usually becomes your ‘username_pn’.
‘usernamehere’  is exactly what it says.
‘yourpasswordhere’  is the password on the e-mail about 16 random numbers and digits.
‘localhost’ will need changing to the server name either ‘rumpus’ or ’humbug’
Once edited save the file back into the wordpress directory as ‘wp-config.php’
6. Using your FTP program log into the CCGI server, if you havn’t used it for anything else you will see just the top level directory ‘/’ and ‘cgi-bin’ Ignore ‘cgi-bin’ leave it empty. Copy the whole of the ’wordpress’ directory from your own computer  to the root directory of the CCGI server. This will take some time! If all goes well you should now see a new ‘wordpress’ directory alongside (NOT in) the ‘cgi-bin’. Use your FTP program to check that everything has transferred. If you use FireFTP you can set it so that a directory change locally automatically changes the remote directory so you can quickly flip through to check that its all there. The ‘wordpress’ directory on the CCGI server should exactly duplicate what is in the ‘wordpress’ directory of your own computer.
7. Now you need to set the file permissions of ALL the Wordpress files on the CCGI server. Depending on your FTP client this can be quite quick or a very long job. It is important however to get this bit right or it won’t work. If you miss just one file you may end up with strange error messages! You need to check all the way down the directory tree.
All Folders (directories) should be set to 710
All Script files (.php) should be set to 700
All Static files (.htm .html .css .txt .png .jpg .gif .js) should be set to 640 (note javascript (.js) is treated as a text file by the server)
There is a script available to do this http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,84349.16.html
8. Now comes the good bit. Logout of the FTP program and start a browser. Type in  the address box:- ‘http://your. web. address/wordpress/wp-admin/install.php’. This needs to be the full path to the install file including the .php on the end otherwise it may not run correctly. (note: if you have a domain name pointed at CCGI this is the name to use here something like 'http://www.website.org.... etc'.  if you are using the standard CCGI space it will have the form 'http://ccgi.username.plus.com/wordpress... etc.'.
9. Wordpress will install itself and give you a screen with you new admin password. Either write this down or easier to highlight, right click and copy. Log into wordpress for the first time and change the password as the admin screen suggests.
10. Happy Blogging...
Cheers John
P.S. A couple of points to add since I wrote the above:-
a. If you use the automatic upgrade from the Wordpress control panel to install the latest version this works OK but changes some of the file permissions which gives the impression that everything has crashed, you need to repeat step 7 above to reset the file permissions.
b. When you add images to a blog entry they may have incorrect permissions and not show up. simply find the image and its folder and set permissions. If you leave the Wordpress default settings new image sub-folders are created every month and these do not seem to inherit the correct permissions, you can turn this feature off from the control panel and all new images will go into the same folder and get the right permissions.
c. It is worth reading up on security from the Wordpress site http://codex.wordpress.org/Hardening_WordPress
d. If you only add one plugin make it Askimet which sorts out most of the spam postings for you!

spraxyt
Resting Legend

For step 7 you might find it easier to set permissions using Gabe's script here. That should be copied to a file called setperms.cgi (using the .cgi extension is important). Upload the file to the wordpress directory, change its permissions to 0700 and run it in a browser. It takes a while to run, but eventually you should get a list of directories and files processed.
When creating your first blog you might need to upload an image. You will probably find that uploads OK but doesn't display. This is because the images need to be readable by the web server.
The permissions on the WordPress uploads directory (which is created when you upload your first image) are probably 0710 if you've followed the recommendations for CCGI. Change these for the uploads directory, and any  sub-directories of uploads that WordPress might have created to 0750. Change the permissions of existing images to 0640. Images uploaded in future should automatically inherit 0640 from the directory structure.
Having made those changes you should find the images appear.
David
David
TLE
Grafter

Thanks Guys, I will be having a go this weekend.  Smiley
Thanks
TLE
Rarebit

@TLE - so did it work?
Am hoping not to spoil several weekends on this one, having created a Wordpress page on their site so easily.
Undecided
TLE
Grafter

Indeed it did, worked like a dream.
TLE
aved

thank you for the information - after 3 frustrating days, problem now solved thanks to your advice. Cheesy
Rarebit

Thanks for all this. It has taken me longer... NB Support advised that the URL for the installation (step 8 above) had to be http//ccgi.your.domain.name/wordpress/ etc. Can the instructions above be amended?
Still need to point my domain name at the darn thing...
Billy_Love
Dabbler

I want to point my domain to my wordpress installation and support offered to point it at the root of my cgi server, however the index file is in the wordpress folder on the root. So my question is does the wordpress files and subfolders need to be in the wordpress folder or can they sit directly on the root or can my domain be pointed at the wordpress folder? If both soloutions are an option is there a preferred option?
Thanks
b
Gabe
Grafter

Hi b,
I guess if you're just using your ccgi space for a single WP site, the WP method for giving WP its own directory is probably the way to go. That moves your index file and .htaccess to your root. Caveats would be that it won't work in multi-user mode and if you use your ccgi space for other things then you may not want your root index file and .htaccess taken over by WP.
Alternatives would include moving WP out of its folder and removing /wordpress from both address fields in WP settings (that will work with mu mode) or using a rewrite like the one in the post linked from section 8 of the faq and similarly remove the /wordpress from both address fields (that keeps WP out of the root, if you need to do that).
Gabe
Billy_Love
Dabbler

Gabe
Thx for that, I wont pretend to understand all you said as I am very new to this but I moved the files for a single WP site and it seems to work fine Smiley
thx again
b
ajmacleod

Thanks for the setup guide. I used the above steps to get my first WordPress site running Smiley
When WordPress installed, I could not see any images... I figured that was a permissions issue. I tried Gabe's script and that did not set all the static files to 640... What I did, in the end, was to use FileZilla to set the permissions of all the files to 640 first... Then I used Gabe's script to change the directory and script files to 710 and 700...
That seems to have done the trick...
However, I could not have got all this running without this post...
Many thanks!
Andy
spraxyt
Resting Legend

If you prepare to set the permissions on the wordpress wp-content/uploads directory to 0750 (rwxr-x---), tick 'Recurse into subdirectories', and select the  'apply to directories only' radio button, clicking OK should set the directories containing images to 0750. Any new uploads will inherit appropriate permissions from the containing directory so newly uploaded files automatically become 0640.
This should cope with creation of new subdirectories based on month and year number, and new images should then be immediately visible.
David