cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up for MS FrontPage

gt40mk1

Setting up for MS FrontPage

Hi, I know that I'm a bit late in the day for changing over my web site to FrontPage, but better late than never!
I've printed off the help page from the PlusNet Help site re activating your FrontPage Extensions.
It says to click on 'Website settings' then click on 'FrontPage Extension' button.
But, I don't have that option on my 'Website settings'. All that I have is 'My Webspace' option, nothing else. I've looked under other headings from the menu but can't find this 'FrontPage Extension' option.
Can anybody help?
Thanks
gt40mk1
4 REPLIES 4
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Setting up for MS FrontPage

2 things...
1) What package are you on as not all packages come with frontpage, CCGI & MySQL.
2) Don't use frontpage. I repeat, don't use frontpage as it is not worth the effort, it has many security problems, in many cases the web pages will only work with IE browsers and it can't be used on many other hosts should you want to move it elsewhere in the future. Just use standard HTML or learn PHP / MySQL for dynamic web pages. There are plenty of free web development packages around which are far better than frontpage. Just google for free HTML editors.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I agree with Peter.
Frontpage teaches you nothing about website structure or the building of as it holds your hand too much.
It's pages tend to have too much superfluous code.
It appears to offer lots of facilities but when you go for browser compatibility many of those features are not available.
Have a look at Nvu for example.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Bit harsh Guys - Frontpage can be bloaty but it does get you up and running and has familiar MS menus if you ise office products. To say teaches you nothing is misleading, and to say it has security problems damns the whole product (some of the elements dependent on FPSE are not secure but it's unfair to write off the whole product.
A quick look at the code (there is a code view) is a good way to learn how your WYSIWYG turns into HTML.
For all that personally I would not recommend it if you are startig out now but the replacement product by MS is reportedly much more compliant and lean - Expression web design. You can download a trial for free.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Software, in common with so many things, is a matter of personal choice.
I have built sites using Frontpage but would prefer an alternative these days. It does have it's advantages such as relative simplicity of use.
You pays your money and takes your choice. Smiley
Edit: Just had a look at M$ Expression Web and although expensive it looks very good.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine