Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a forum

Tsonga
Grafter

Setting up a forum

Hello!
I would like to set up a discussion forum using my Plusnet webspace. Could anyone point me to a step by step guide to doing this? I see that there are free forum templates available on the web. Where do I go from there?
I have both MySQL and CGI enabled.
I am used to maintaining a website (hosted by my work) using Kompozer, Wampserver and FileZilla. But I have little experience otherwise.
Thanks for any help!  Smiley
7 REPLIES 7
decomplexity
Rising Star

Re: Setting up a forum

Try Joomla or phpBB.
But beware of installing anything serious on CGI as PN intend discontinuing it in favour of their PAYH platform.
And depending on what you pick, it is worth your checking on this forum for any incompatabilities with it and PAYH.
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The software powering these forums (SMF) is free and is easy to set up.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Tsonga
Grafter

Many thanks! SMF uses MySQL so is that safe or are Plusnet discontinuing that too?
Tsonga
Grafter

So I have downloaded smf_1-1-8_install. Wahey!
I understand from the SMF Online Manual that I now have to upload that onto my server. I have Filezilla to do that but I don't know what to enter in order to connect. Host? Port?
After that, I need to go to http://www.yourdomain.tfl/smf/install.php in order to run the installer. What do I replace 'yourdomain' with?
Sorry I am such a complete newbie that any help would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to get this forum up and running.
Thanks!
gordo
Grafter

If it is on your plusnet space it is normally  www.yourusername.plus.co.uk ; or .com 

have you got the details of the database ready at hand.  you will need    the host, username and password  for that. As it is required in the setup of smf
I have installed around 200 forums for different family, friends and others.  if you get stuck PM me
Tsonga
Grafter

Thanks gordo! I am actually completely confused as to where to upload the SMF folder.
- First, I tried following the Plusnet help& support instructions video to upload it onto my webspace: http://www.plus.net/support/webspace/setup/webspace_video.shtml?link=supfeature_webspace3. However, my login details were rejected and I could not progress beyond the first couple of steps.
- Then I uploaded them with FileZilla using myusername@cshell.plus.net. That succeeded but my webspace remained empty.
- I also tried myusername@rumpus but could not connect.
Basically, I don't know what I am doing which is frustrating me a lot, especially as everyone tells me it is dead easy to set up a forum and it can be done in minutes!  Smiley It is not that I am not reading instructions, help and support pages etc. I am, but nothing works!  Embarrassed
Any ideas?
Tsonga
Grafter

Quick update: I installed SMF on PAYH. It was fairly easy, even for a newbie, and is working really well! They have an excellent selection of themes too!