cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a Domain Name on Domain Monster.com

Pancho
Grafter

Setting up a Domain Name on Domain Monster.com

Trying to help a person who is on Plus Net. He has registered a Domain Name with an organisation called Domain Monster.com. Does anybody know what he needs to do to get his Domain Name to point to his web pages on Plus? I have never done this before so I am interested in how to do it as well. You have to fill in an online control panel but that is all I know. What information do you need to have in order to get it to work? I suspect this might apply to other Domain Name outfits. My pages are registered through Plus so I did not need to go through this setup process.
5 REPLIES 5
The_10th
Grafter

Re: Setting up a Domain Name on Domain Monster.com

Check this page in particular the part about 'Hosting Only' transfer. He will need to change the DNS Control Panel to include ns1.force9.net & ns2.force9.net and raise a ticket with Plusnet informing them what you want to do as they have to make config changes too.
HTH
Pancho
Grafter

Thank you for helping; I have passed the information on to the person concerned. I fear it will be some time before he gets it going. He has made some simple web pages and bought a domain name with this Domain Monster.com outfit but that is the end of his capabilities (he says). I got my domain name through Plus a long time ago so did not have all this bother. If anybody has more information that would be useful to him please add. All I can do is pass it on to him.
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

... quite glad this thread has appeared, actually.
A few days back I changed the nameservers to Force 9 for a domain currently registered with 123-reg (previously with freeola).
(changing the nameservers is really straightforward - if I can do it, anyone can :/)
However now the domain name is "here" I've hit a snag ... I'm being asked to pay £25 a year for it to be hosted (all I want is for it to resolve to a specific subdirectory at freeway.plus.com ).
Freeway has a Connect Lite user account which costs I think £9.99 per month, and as far as I recall when the account was set up originally, the deal was "up to three" domain names could be hosted on it free of charge.
Has anyone reading this been with Force 9 / PlusNet long enough to have a Connect Lite account?  (it's dial-up).  I'm pretty sure that "free hosting" was part of the offered package, but assume it's a legacy product now as not visible on "search" on the PN pages.

Any help appreciated : )
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Only certain Plusnet accounts are able to host domains with a limit also placed on the number of domains that can be hosted for free.
The full list can be seen here:-
http://www.plus.net/support/domains_and_dns/hosting/hosting_allowances.shtml
The Dial Up Lite product appears to allow one domain to be hosted but not for free. The cost of hosting a domain when the account does not offer this for free is shown as £29.38.
http://www.plus.net/support/domains_and_dns/hosting/cost.shtml
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Quote from: acr
Only certain Plusnet accounts are able to host domains with a limit also placed on the number of domains that can be hosted for free.

Appreciate the reply, and thanks.
Quote from: acr
The Dial Up Lite product appears to allow one domain to be hosted but not for free.

... still not sure.  As far as I can see that page lists only "currently-available" packages - and the "Connect Lite" account is a legacy-type (no longer offered) as far as I'm aware.  The account was started as long ago as about Year 2000 - have some dim recall that it had a different name then and its title got changed to 'Connect Lite' later (but not by us).  Can't check back as the Transactions on the portal don't go back that far 😕  and the "acount summary" (from when it got changed, maybe) only starts from 25/09/03 (which was when the price went up to £9.99/month).
All I've been able to discover from the Portal (from the dial-up connect-numbers page) is that "Anytime Lite" and "Connect Lite" are entirely different packages.
But I have no way of finding out if the account that was originally signed up for gave 'free hosting' - that's my recall, but ten years is a very long time    lol    and maybe the current T+C are such that hosting has to be paid for separately.  Was worth an ask, anyway Smiley
Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.