cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set up wifi in garden room

clouise56

Set up wifi in garden room

We have an outhouse with a telephone plug/phone jack that was run down underground from our house. We think it connects to our main router in the house. What device/adapter do we need to plug in out there so that it becomes a second hub for WiFi connections/alarms etc.,

4 REPLIES 4
Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Re: Set up wifi in garden room

Welcome to the forums @clouise56. If this is a phone line like you describe then it is doubtful it will connect to the router and more likely will be connected to your telephone's extension wiring.

Before you can do anything you really need to determine what type of connection it is. If it has a phone type rectangular hole then it will be an extension socket. However if it's an RJ45 socket then you may well be in luck. Are you able to post a picture of this socket face, if you don't know the exact type yourself?

Once this is known the appropriate advice will follow.

clouise56

Many thanks for your prompt reply. I've attached a couple of images which I hope help? (Please excuse the masking tape!)

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Yes @clouise56 very helpful and confirms the fact that this is indeed a phone extension so it won't be connected to your router, and as a result your options are limited.

What I would be inclined to do is to find the other end of it within the house, and from the 'outhouse' tie a (very long) string to the and of if and pull it back through to the house, taking the string with it.

Go online and buy some Ethernet cable along with some wall mounts.

Tie the Ethernet cable (and telephone line if needed) to the string in the house and pull it back through from the 'outhouse'. Mount the wall socket and connect the cables in the 'outhouse' and do the same again in the house.

Using a pre-made Ethernet cable connect one end to your router and plug the other end into the new wall socket in the house.

Down in the 'outhouse' you'll then be able to use it directly by plugging in an Ethernet cable or you could plug in a switch to give you more ports, and or a wireless access point.

Assuming you have power in the 'outhouse' The other and easiest option is to get yourself Powerline adapters, put one in the house and connect it to the router and the other in the 'outhouse' and you'll have the same options as above but without the hassle of pulling cables about.

Of course there are other options available for all of the linked products here, I've only supplied them so you know what I'm talking about.

clouise56

Fabulous, thanks!

We do have power out there so will explore those two options you've described and hopefully be up and running in no time.

Thanks for your guidance.