cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selecting a good web hosting package

klyne
Grafter

Selecting a good web hosting package

I am rapidly running out of Plus Net web space so will soon need to move my website to a hosting company. I have no objection to paying a (modest!) fee. I have been looking at http://www.streamlinenet.co.uk/index.php and http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/hosting/
Has anyone got a view on either of these companies?
Thanks
David
6 REPLIES 6
Merrick
Grafter

Re: Selecting a good web hosting package

1&1 offer good packages i believe and ok customer support.
IanD
Grafter

Not too happy with 1and1 support as they have failed to respond to my emails on an account I look after for someone else with them.
www.supanames.co.uk are very helpful and have been highly recommended by some web designers I know. Looking to use them for a new site a friend is after.
Kev_Mawson
Grafter

Hi
Please feel free to look at our subsidiary company PAYH who offer web hosting. We have just been moved across to a new hosting platform based on Plesk.
Please feel free to take a look at what we offer on the link below:
www.payh.co.uk
jabb0
Grafter

Do not go near fasthosts with a barge pole.
Just recently there have been 2 incidents, one in which there database got hacked and peoples passwords (who were not encrypted) were compromised, leading them to tell all their customers that they would have to change their passwords, still no confirmation that passwords are encrypted after this god awful incident.
Another incident recently they deleted a whole crapload of emails from their servers, and never so much as thought to send a warning email to any of their customers about these... nor do not intend to.
My own personal experience (i left them years ago) is that their customer support was nothing short of downright cheeky... you would have to do better for my money.
I can whole heartedly recommend fuzioned.com been with these guys for a couple of years now, and i lub dem to bitz - fast (very fast) friendly support, and have been continuously improving themselves right through my experience with them.
no they dont employ me and no im not part of the affiliate program they have (although after this rant i should probably consider it)
jabb0
klyne
Grafter

Quote from: Kev
Hi
Please feel free to look at our subsidiary company PAYH who offer web hosting. We have just been moved across to a new hosting platform based on Plesk.
Please feel free to take a look at what we offer on the link below:
www.payh.co.uk

Kev
Thanks, I did have a look but they only seem to offer the same as Plus Net or the next one up is very expensive. My website is only a hobby so whilst I might be happy to pay £40/50 a year anything beyond that is not really worth while.
Also thanks to every one else for their suggestions and warnings!
David
ffupi
Grafter

Quote from: IanD
www.supanames.co.uk are very helpful

Do they have symlinks enabled?