cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security: unable to contact Plusnet

ronindundee
Dabbler

Security: unable to contact Plusnet

I have found that my system has been invaded. And now it seems as if my mobile has been hacked into (if 'hacked' is the correct term.) But am unable to contact Plusnet, to report it as a Security issue. Everything I try I just find that it won't let me in. The facts are these: I bought this computer from the wife of a friend (she was also a friend) 4 or 5 years ago. But only went online a few weeks ago. And found that the op system (XP) was/is out of date/cannot be updated. The version of Internet Explorer is also out of date. The clock doesn't work. In desperation I changed to Mozilla Firefox, but in the process got 'myway', which is akin to a browser hijacker. Believe me, you don't want that. Now I have found that my pal's wife is still registered as the User. This became clear the other day when (a) I discovered that she had left entries in her e-mail address book, including her own e-mail address. As we have been out of touch for some time, and they have moved away from the area (he fell out with me over the Independence Referendum: long story. Not relevant) that was the only way I could try to contact them. The e-mail I sent came straight back to me, as if I was her. Also, I had tried to sign up for Paypal. A message was in her Inbox confirming that she has added a new e-mail address to her a/c, but bizarrely gave her new address as a Virgin one (I haven't yet tried that e-mail address for her.) It was dated 24th November, 2016. There were also 2 other e-mails that raised concern re security. I don't want to go into detail as even this site is being shown as unsafe! What I find most concerning is that I have been ordering goods over the phone (as it is clearly unsafe to enter my bank details online) which obviously involves giving bank details, and I topped up 7 days ago, my phone showing around 24 mins of calls (which seems correct), and my allowance is 150 mins, yet my provider is telling me I am out of funds. Phone record also shows some recent call info that I do not recognise (beginning with 08.) So my phone is also compromised. I will need to get another (well, have you tried changing mobile providers by simply changing the SIM, etc. Nightmare.) .And another computer. I will try changing the User to myself (but what do I put in as my code? Router Password? Or will it do it automatically. I doubt it.) I recently installed Kaspersky (Security) on the advice of an old and trusted pal. But now I can't use Firefox. At one point the system got rid of Google and replaced it with Yazoo. Overnight! So I am back to Explorer. I am going to stop here, as I have to contact (or try to) my phone provider, and take various other steps in this situation. At some point I will try to contact Plusnet by phone, but if anyone out there has a better idea, then please,please let me know. Hope you all stay safe.
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Security: unable to contact Plusnet

I am sorry to read of your problems but this has nothing to do with Plusnet and they won't be able to help

Regarding your computer - do you know the make/model as it may be possible to do a full factory reset using a hidden partition

DreamVB
Grafter

I would do as suguested by the above. I also run BitDefender ,SpyBot and I also install AVG you can get them free and work quite well. as for the factory reset as I remmber I am not sure if XP came with this option back then I maybe wrong. Buy you can try hitting F8 first time computer boots up, or insome cases F2.

Failing that man get a new PC that thing seems to have had it.

Hope you get things fixed.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hello there, 

I'm sorry to learn of the problems you've been having. 

As the issues you've mentioned don't directly relate to the services we provide it isn't something we can directly assist you with. However I would see if you can reply back to this post with the make and model of both the PC and the phone as members of the community may be able to guide you in resetting both devices which may help with what you'e mentioned and would effectively allow you to start with a clean slate. 

It would definitely be a good idea too to install some anti-virus and anti-spyware programs such as AVG and super anti-spyware in order to remove the security threats that you've mentioned too. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ronindundee
Dabbler

Thanks for the response. Apologies for the delay in responding, but I have had problems even getting into the Plusnet site. I have gotten advice directly (i.e., by e-mail as he is in another area) from a pal who is also with Plusnet. I am going to try what he suggests, using a disk he has provided. But I doubt that it will be successful. I think I am going to have to write it off. The computer was a bespoke job (as I understand it), originally (in 2007) costing £995. The details on the invoice I was given by my pals reads AMD 64 X2 AM2 x 2 5400+ for those who wanted to know the make and model. As I paid £350 and haven't used it much, I am reluctant to write it off completely. I am considering contacting the outfit that put it together to see if they would buy it back...maybe for parts. Has 500Gb Hard drive and 3Gb DDR2 Ram. Thanks to everyone who responded with suggestions.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Replace the disk with a brand new one and install a new OS.

Throw the old one away.

In current day terms, you have a slow machine, but its perfectly OK for email, web browsing etc.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Smeaghoul
Dabbler

or you could even be adventurous and install Linux, there are plenty distro's out there and they're free, I have a computer circa 2004 running linux, the only windows system I run is windows 2000 on a '97 computer, (don't laugh itI has a great video editor which I use on a weekly basis) my network/file server, workshop computer and 2 laptops all run linux (Mint), after Vista I will never go back to windows, best thing about linux you don't need vast amounts of disk space, 100Mb would do, bit of a learning curve but what ya got to lose, imho best version for beginners would be" Linux Mint" (note: an old XP computer would probably be 32 bit) and best of all linux software is free too.