cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam phone calls

chrisco
Grafter

Scam phone calls

I'm not sure if this is the correct board to be warning people of this, please move if necessary. 

Automated phone call from 01269 773899 saying my IP address had been compromised in several countries in the world & if I didn't respond my internet service would be ceased within 48 hours. I knew it couldn't have been from PN as recording had an American accent!! 

Be aware!

6 REPLIES 6
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Scam phone calls

Whocalledme.co.uk has hundreds of these reports. Personally, I always let unknown numbers go to answephone - if it is important the caller will leave a message, if - as these types of call almost always are - automated ones will drop the connection as soon as the answering machine kicks in

John
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @chrisco

Thanks for letting us know.

As @jab1 has advised, scam/spam phone calls are unfortunately a common blight on modern day telephony which can't always be avoided.

Have you had the opportunity to look at Plusnet Call Protect from within the addons section of your account? Adding that (it's free of charge) and ensuring that you're registered with the Telephone Preference Service through their website will help to minimise the number of nuisance calls that you receive.

Again, thanks for your diligence - if you're ever unsure, I usually find that a quick Google search will yield information on the number that has called you. 

Best Wishes,

Dave

chrisco
Grafter

Thanks for your reply. I do have caller display & we are registered with the TPS (about as much use as a chocolate fireguard!) & I never normally answer any calls from numbers I don't recognise. As I don't use PN's answer facility as I have a separate TAM I'm not too sure that the Call Protect would work, am I correct, maybe you could advise. 

The good thing is though if I hadn't have answered the call I wouldn't have known to warn you guys Wink

Have a good day.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @chrisco

Thanks for that info.

The short answer to your TAM query is "It depends" Tongue

Some models of TAM override anything on the line, some don't. Given that Plusnet Call Protect is free, you could maybe add it for a test and then remove if its no good?

Best of luck!

Dave

LittleS

Hi

I too have been getting these calls about my ip address being compromised. The last one came from 01538372713 which turns out to belong to a farm in Stoke on Trent. They asked me to press 1 to talk to their engineer so just hit the button on my call blocker. I have had several of these calls, all from different numbers but with the same format (ie This is Shirley)

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @LittleS

I'd suggested looking into Plusnet Call Protect as Dave mentioned above as well. 

Some information about it can be found here

Thanks,