cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam Call

DeeCee73
Dabbler

Scam Call

Received a phone call from an 02 number, bad line and sounded like an Indian call centre. Advises me that he's calling from Plusnet and would like to offer me a 15% reduction for my internet connection. How much am I currently paying?

I told him that if he was calling from Plusnet he would know this (I have recently made changes to my package, not that I volunteered this) - he says that he's calling from technical support, not billing, twice, so felt obliged to ask why technical support would be phoning me about a billing issue, and without access to the relevant billing info on my account. Needless to say the phone line immediately went dead.

He didn't mention my name at any point, which you might miss out on when they mention your provider's name,  and was fairly abrupt as you might expect. Just thought I'd mention in case anyone else receives similar in future.

Number was 02031988079, unsurprisingly seems to be listed as scammer on who called me websites.

9 REPLIES 9
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Re: Scam Call

It dont matter whoever rings, you should never give anyone any info at all ( not saying you did ofc ) these callers try to get any kind of info from you so they can sell your infomation on. I tell them nothing, if plusnet needed to get intouch they would e-mail or send you a letter Smiley 

Ive got caller display and often ignore numbers i dont know of, and i have an answering machine so if there was anything important they could leave a message.

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

But how did he know you were using Plusnet ? Lucky guess ? If so how did he have your phone number.

Sure PN is based in Sheffield but do they contract out any work to companies that have contacts abroad ?

We are born into history and history is born into us.
St3
Aspiring Champion

Most of these scammers collect infomation about you, he may have slipped up in the passed and told someone he was with plusnet.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

The other scam I have heard of is that they will claim to be from Microsoft and trick their victim into letting them take control of the computer via a remote support website where they will take control of your computer and hold it to ransom for hundreds of pounds. There are some interesting videos on YouTube with people getting these calls and leading the scammer along to waste their time.

My advice to anyone is to just hang up and do not provide any information to these people no matter how legitimate they may sound.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

St3
Aspiring Champion

My parents have had that happen to them but they know to hang up, but some people are still tricked into these kinda things.

DeeCee73
Dabbler

I work in IT Security for a large well known company so any public information about me is very limited which is why I was surprised to hear the person say they were with Plusnet.

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Given that most people use the same supplier for BB and landline, I suspect there is a database some where that links landline numbers to telephone operators as there is for mobile numbers.

Probably the call centre he was operating from had access to it.

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

What does "an Indian call centre" sound like? Wink

With nearly two million Indians living in the UK, maybe the call came for here as a sort of double bluff!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/nri/other-news/Indians-now-UKs-biggest-overseas-born-population/a...

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
paulmcl

Had calls recently from PlusNet (probably is) for outbound sales and marketing but asking me to confirm answers to my three security questions.   I refused so they raised a question ticket to confirm it was actually Plusnet which I received. Then a few weeks later they called back but couldn't confirm the question ticket number they had raised due to Data Protection issues and wanted my security questions answered first.  Maybe I am just paranoid!