cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safeguard won't switch off. Tried changing settings, switching off router, waiting...

H4B17
Dabbler

Safeguard won't switch off. Tried changing settings, switching off router, waiting...

It shows as being off in the control panel, but it still blocks sites. Tried all the suggested ways to fix it. Clicked on and off again, restarted router, waited, etc. 

I don't have one of the routers that lets you change DNS btw. So I can't do that. And frankly I don't want to even try that suggested method which means downloading some software or making changes on my devices. I shouldn't have to.

I didn't even enable Safeguard. I never have. But it's been on for months - I've only just now gotten around to trying to fix it. I've been using a VPN to get around it, but it's free and slow and I shouldn't need to, as this is a service I pay for,

I just tried to call support - which I don't want to do as I'd much prefer email or live chat, but Plusnet doesn't offer those. And the phone line was turned off before 6pm on a weekday, too. So, what do I have to do to finally get this resolved? Really annoyed. 

15 REPLIES 15
H4B17
Dabbler

Re: Safeguard won't switch off. Tried changing settings, switching off router, waiting...

Also, is there any way I can change my display name? Cannot find it in the profile settings. I didn't choose this as my display name - I put it as my sign-in name, but it's used this instead. 

Plusnet not making me very happy at the moment, with this shonky forum, unwanted blocking I can't turn off, and lack of support! 

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Safeguard won't switch off. Tried changing settings, switching off router, waiting...

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak

If you go to https://community.plus.net/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/personal-profile you can change your login name to change your display name.
Customer / Moderator
H4B17
Dabbler

Which section, please? I've been through it several times and can't find it. Could you either take a screenshot of give me directions of all the things I need to click to get there?
dvorak

Just click the link in the post
Customer / Moderator
H4B17
Dabbler

I did. I can't see the section for changing display name anywhere in those settings. Which is why I asked you for either a screenshot of where you do it or directions. How do you get to it? 

As I did say before, I've been through all the profile settings.

dvorak

Your login name and display name are the same, change your login name.
The link takes you to the page to change your login. This is unrelated to your PN user name.
Customer / Moderator
H4B17
Dabbler

It doesn't. As you can see here, it's just prompting to change my email. 

annoyingforum.png

There is nothing in any of the other tabs either. I've been through them about five times already. As I said. 

dvorak

Ok if you PM me what you want your login to be I can change it.
Customer / Moderator
H4B17
Dabbler

Will Plusnet provide a refund, or at least partial, for all the months this has been happening?

They haven't actually provided me with the full internet service that I've paid for. By constantly blocking large swathes of the internet and not giving the chance to unblock it, they're offering me only limited access, which wasn't the deal I made when I signed up. 

Who should I speak to about some kind of compensation payment or refund, considering they're doing nothing to help me resolve this failure of their service? 

H4B17
Dabbler

Compensation/refunds for prolongued/continuing service failure

Does Plusnet do payouts for extended periods of their services being down? It's not really right that we pay for something and it doesn't work. 

Specifically I'm talking about my current problem with Safeguard, which has been going for months now, with no sign of being resolved. It won't switch off, so huge amounts of the internet are blocked off for me.This isn't the service I'm paying for, so I should be compensated in some way or my costs adjusted to reflect it. 

Customer service, by the way is shocking / non-existent. No web chat or email support, and you have to call a phone number, which I discovered was switched off when I called it 5:30 yesterday. The alternative? "Go and look on our forum" - what kind of a joke is that, to tell paying customers who need support? But they operate live chat for their SALES teams. So when they want to hook you in and get your money, they've got all the time and resources in the world for you... 

H4B17
Dabbler

Re: Compensation/refunds for prolongued/continuing service failure

Any thoughts on this? 

H4B17
Dabbler

Your malfunctioning 'Safeguard' filter means you're taking people's money for a useless service

Internet browsing is severely restricted. No support, and "have a look on our forum" also results in no help at all. What kind of an ISP is Plusnet? Not a very good one. 

H4B17
Dabbler

Refunds/compensation for useless broadband due to malfunctioning SafeGuard?

Huh