cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safeguard does not work as it should...

awgskipwith

Safeguard does not work as it should...

OK PlusNet - time to put your hands up and admit that Safeguard does not work...

I've wasted a load of time on this (including hanging on your phone for typically 20 mins at a time as you do not have enough people on your service team) and ended up switching to openDNS which does work.

Specifically:

- blocking content by category does work
- blocking or whitelisting specific websites does not work.

For the benefit of other members with this issue, you have two options:

1. Use a separate router in DHCP mode (i.e. allocating dynamic IP addresses and, crucially, the DNS servers) with DHCP in the PlusNet hub switched off. Then point your DNS addresses to openDNS and use their web filters which do work.

2. Replace the PlusNet hub with a VDSL router which allows you to set your own DNS servers (as above). PlusNet WHY have you locked the DNS server in your own hub? Not helpful.

From a legal perspective I think PlusNet are in a poor position. They are offering a web filtering service that does not work properly, whilst locking us out of using other services unless we purchase additional kit. Not good.

Hope this helps everyone. Andy

ALSO PlusNet this if for you, before you come back with all the usual [-Censored-] about not being set up right:

- YES I have all of your default settings
- YES my computers are picking up your DNS servers (as indicated by category blocking working)
- YES I have restarted my hub multiple times and waited hours for your systems to start working

- YES I have tried blocking with 'www' in the address, and also complete domains.
- NO I'm not using any VPNs etc
- AND.... yes I have wasted countless timing waiting on your crappy phone lines for someone to help. They have tried. I have been cut off. I have tried your chat only to find that it isn't working. I have tried chat on your sales lines miraculously finding that there IS someone there when I want to buy something off you. Rather than get help. Though of course they could not help.

I'm not happy. I've wasted a load of time on this.

Your web filters are a fundamental part of your offer please GET IT FIXED NOW.

5 REPLIES 5
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Safeguard does not work as it should...

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): This thread is now in the appropriate board.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Do you have a static IP by any chance?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
awgskipwith

Thanks Dvorak - yes I do have a static IP address.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

That’s the problem, I have static ip and safe guard doesn’t work with it.
PN are aware but no solution is forthcoming as yet
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Superuser citation

This topic has been cited by one of the Superusers; the purpose of which is to provide a note for information which might help to focus continued discussion (but might not result in a staff response).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.