cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safeguard and WhatsApp

Lighthouse
Dabbler

Safeguard and WhatsApp

Hi, I'm following up earlier posts on same issue from March this year when I was trying to 'allow' WhatsApp whilst blocking Chat and Social Networking categories using Safeguard.

Initially I couldn't get WhatsApp to work at all. Then, after removing the allowed site (WhatsApp), switching Safeguard off/on, reinstating WhatsApp as 'allowed' - several times - I eventually got it working.

Recently, it has stopped working again. I've tried all the steps I tried earlier this year. Nobody in the house (it's Supported Living project so there are tenants and staff) can get WhatsApp on their phones via WiFi, only data.

Anyone else having similar problems, solved this dilemma ? I know it is possible because it was working up to 3 /4 weeks ago but completely stumped this time Sad

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Safeguard and WhatsApp

Hi there, 

These might be things you've covered but can I just check that you've tried turning Safeguard off altogether then straight back on again?

Also have you tried rebooting your router since making changes?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Lighthouse
Dabbler

Hi Adam,

Thanks for responding.

I have tried turning Safeguard off and then on again and Safeguard has responded to other changes such as unblocking Facebook and then reblocking -- so not sure why it wouldn't do so with WhatsApp.  (although WhatsApp does seem to be quite temperamental anyway).

However, I haven't tried resetting or rebooting the router. By that, do you mean turning router off at plug and then turning on again or do you mean resetting with pin/paper clip in the back ? If I do the latter, presumably that will mean that all my Safeguard settings are lost and I have to reset them after turning router back on ?

Thanks

L

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@Lighthouse,

It's an odd one this so I think it's best to clarify a few things before we offer any advice. 

We can't view your safeguard settings here but from what you've explained both the "Chat & Instant Messaging" and "Social Networking" categories are blocked. On the "Allow Websites" tab can you confirm all the addresses you have listed there that relate to WhatsApp and list them in full for us. Also is it just WhatsApp that is having these problems or any other messaging/Social services too?

I wonder if there's something that's missing, or the app requires something specific inputting for a URL.

Lighthouse
Dabbler

Hi Jolo,

"Chat & Instant Messaging" and "Social Networking" categories are blocked. On the "Allow Websites" tab, the addresses I have listed are:

https://www.whatsapp.com

web.whatsapp.com

web.whatsapp.com/en

I tried all the above in case any of them will work.

Even though the two categories above are blocked, I can still allow, block, allow sites such as Facebook as many times as I want and that it always effective -- almost immediately. Anything I try with WhatsApp doesnt work now -- though it did a few months ago as I said in original post.

Please can you clarify what I should do re. reset and/or rebooting the router as Adam mentioned this morning.

Thanks for your support

L

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@Lighthouse,

To clarify what Adam has said when you update the Safeguard settings you should always reboot the router to make sure they take effect. This is done by pressing the power button off and on again (with a 10 second space in between).

I wouldn't factory reset the router, although this won't affect your Safeguard settings as they're held separate, it will affect your router settings and restore the router to factory defaults. 

Could you do me a favour and add the domains below to your allowed list (remember you don't need to add the http or www. prefix):

whatsapp.net

mmg.whatsapp.net
mms.whatsapp.net

Let me know if adding those makes any difference. 

Lighthouse
Dabbler

Hi Jolo,

I've added the additional addresses and rebooted the router and we now seem to be at a stage where we can send/ receive messages over WiFi but not send/receive images.

Any ideas about how to fix this last piece of the puzzle ?

Thanks for your advice so far.

L

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@Lighthouse,

Interesting, to be honest the issue isn't just on our Safeguard, it seems a number of other providers have had issues specifically with allowing WhatsApp and unfortunately that means the information available online is all over the place. 

I found something saying that 'whatsapp.net' was needed on the BT safeguard product to get the image sharing to work, but other information noting that the MMG and MMS options were required for this so I included all three as a failsafe.

Now this might sound a little counter intuitive but what I'd do is delete all of the domains on the allowed list apart from:

whatsapp.net

whatsapp.com

Save, reboot and see if this works, I wonder if the extra ones are cancelling it out somehow.

Unfortunately I can't test from the offices as it's blocked but when I finish this evening I'll try and test from home on my staff account and see if I can replicate it and let you know. 

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@Lighthouse

So I've just tested from my home connection and actually couldn't replicate the issue.

I turned on Safeguard and blocked only the chat and social options on the categories list. It was blocking access to Facebook so it was definitely active. I also didn't add any allowed sites onto the allowed list and WhatsApp on my phone (connected to my wifi) worked to send and receive messages and pictures without any issues.

It might be worth attaching some screenshots of the pages either on here, on a ticket on your account or in a PM to one of the staff (I'm off now until Monday FYI) just so we can have a look at what you can see.

If you post publicly here make sure to blank out any personal info or anything you wouldn't want anyone to see.

Lighthouse
Dabbler

Hi, I tried what you said but all went pear-shaped again -- not working at all.
Went back and reinstated the sites I'd deleted from allowed and still wont work
If we try to send a message (text) we see the little clock icon and window comes up saying something like
'WhatsApp You may have new messages'

I'll try to see if the phone there has background data switched off for WhatsApp and see if that may be the problem

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

OK, yes do give that a try and let is know if you're still having problems beyond that. - Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Lighthouse
Dabbler

Hi, I've gone back and added every permutation of WhatsApp address and now we can send and receive messages but no images -- just comes with ! in a red circle 😕

Lolo seemed to be saying that at his home WhatsApp messages and images could be sent/received even when Chat and Social categories were blocked and no 'Allowed' sites entered at all but if I do that, WhatsApp wont work at all.

Any ideas ? Really need to get images working so staff can send pics to tenants' relatives of events at the house (Supported Living for people with ld).

Thanks

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Lighthouse,

I'm pleased to hear that you can now send and receive messages through WhatsApp, it's a shame that you are still unable to send and receive images.

I've tested your line to see if there are any underlying connection issues that may be leading to this issue and can see that there are a high number of performance errors on your line at the moment. For reference, today's test result is as follows:

xDSL Status Check
Circuit ID: CBUK72171274 Service ID: BBEUXXXXXXXX
Telephone NO.: NA Test Executed On: 24-08-2018 10:44:44
xDSL Status Test Summary
Sync Status: Circuit In Sync
General Information
NTE Status:   NTE Power Status: PowerOn Bypass Status:  

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 19.3 40.5
SNR Margin: 6.5 4.1
Errored Seconds: 0 7
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 465022 6343358
Speed: 1211 7456

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 7392 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 5913
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 86400 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 605
Indicative Line Quality: R Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 3
Custom Thresholds
MTBR_RED: MTBE_RED:
MTBR_GREEN: MTBE_GREEN:

The test indicates that the signal to noise (SNR) margin is currently set too low for the level of interference on the line and this is what's leading to the performance errors and is likely the reason that sending and receiving images on WhatsApp isn't working. I've adjusted this now to try and resolve the problem.

Please monitor your connection over the next few days and let us know if you continue to experience any issues.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Lighthouse
Dabbler

Hi Emily, Thanks for your continuing support and advice.

Interesting to see what you have found with the test.

Might that also explain why some people in the house can send/receive messages on their phones and yet others cannot ? I have exactly the same phone, with same carrier as my son (who is one of the tenants at the house). I can use WhatsApp in the house over WiFi. He can only do so over data.

I shall keep an eye on how matters progress and get back to you in a few days.

Thanks,

L

Lighthouse
Dabbler

An update since last week.

We are now at a stage where most people in the house can send and receive WhatsApp messages using WiFi. However, nobody can send images (still just get the exclamation mark in a red circle). The send/receive of messages is slow.  My son is still unable to use WhatsApp at all using WiFi at the house (although he can do so at our house where our ISP is also Plusnet). As I said before, he and I have the same phone, both with Tesco Mobile. I have also contacted them and made some minor alterations to his phone but it still will not send/receive WhatsApp over WiFi at his house. Yesterday, in desperation, I factory reset his phone - still no good.

Can you suggest how we might get to a stage where at least some of us could use Wifi for WhatsApp images.

Thanks for your continuing support.