cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safeguard and Quad 9 DNS

Maplewell

Safeguard and Quad 9 DNS

I have been offered the Quad 9 DNS filter by or local Neighbourhood Watch. It has slightly different aims than SafeGuard in that it purports to help avoid Phishing and automated scams.

Do PlusNet do this somehow?   

Does anybody have knowledge of Quad 9

Thanks in advance.

J

5 REPLIES 5
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Safeguard and Quad 9 DNS

They look quite snappy..

9.9.9.9 dns.quad9.net
149.112.112.112 rpz-public-resolver1.rrdns.pch.net

qua9dns.png

It depends what you want to achieve and how you wish to implement the servers (Forced DNS Redirection) is what you would need to deploy from a router level or on the PC itself with an app they provide you with I guess.

As for how do they block stuff any better than Plusnet or OpenDns etc which also has adjustable features and filters also with an app and filters you can apply is another thing.

All this effort can be easily circumvented using Tor I'm afraid to say!

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I'd say SafeGuard and Quad 9 have significantly different aims. SafeGuard https://www.plus.net/my-account/safeguard/ is targeted at controlling access to a broad range of content categories, optionally time-based, whereas Quad 9 concentrates on security and privacy. Setting up SafeGuard for Plusnet customers using the provided router will be easier.

SafeGuard along with an antivirus which checks website content arguably provides the best of both worlds.

David
Maplewell

Interesting.

As we are a family of adults we don't need to have an external censor (we would not seek bad stuff nor freak if it came up) if there is a risk of it going overboard.

However the 'supposed' security advantages of Quad 9 sound interesting. I was expecting some knowledgeable debunking, or a Plusnet response saying that they will add such functionality to Safeguard.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

In that environment using Quad9 DNS might help provide safer browsing. You might find the ISPreview article https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/11/quad9-uk-internet-users-now-secure-dns-provider-option... of interest.

As always browsing the Internet needs care but using the Quad9 DNS should help.

David
Maplewell

Thanks all.