cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safeguard - Does it Block Apps?

tcj1971
Rising Star

Safeguard - Does it Block Apps?

Safeguard on my account is now blocking websites such as Social Media sites like Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, Viber etc via the internet but can still access these sites via their Apps on mobile devices through the Hub One Wi-Fi / Router

Should Safeguard block the Apps as well?

11 REPLIES 11
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Safeguard - Does it Block Apps?

Well, this could be the reason why

Yes, as long as your device is connected to your Plusnet router and accesses the Internet through the Wi-Fi connection.

• Websites viewed in the browser will be filtered like they are on your computer or laptop
  • Apps that use the web to access blocked content may not work properly

If your device accesses the Internet via a mobile network (3G/4G) SafeGuard won't work.

borrowed from - https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/how-to-use-plusnet-safeguard/

tcj1971
Rising Star

Well the missus on her mobile has WhatsApp on at the moment through via WiFi and the Plusnet Router and she can still access the App and use it as normal.

I am also able to do the same with Facebook and Messenger and also WhatsApp what I have on my mobile

This is with Mobile Data switched off

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Yes, that is what the link above is saying - applications (Apps) such as Facebook, WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger with Safeguard set up on your account may not work properly, meaning that Safeguard will not block them.

If you used a browser (even the default browser on a mobile phone) then Safeguard will block the phone from reaching the site.

The likely reason why Apps work is because they are encrypted and Plusnet (nor any other ISP) would not 'see' this as you're using an App and not a browser.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

I'm not sure encryption would matter.  It would be the address that the app/website is trying to access that would be blocked, ie before the encryption is even taking place.

One point to clarify, is can you actually send or receive messages on those apps? The apps themselves wouldn't be blocked with Safeguard, but their ability to communicate would. So for example, you would still be able to open WhatsApp and view your already received messages, but you wouldn't be able to send or receive new messages.  Just the same as if you where just using a mobile network without having a signal.

Have you checked that SafeGaurd is actually working anywhere at all for you? Have you followed all the steps to enabling it (mainly I'm thinking of restarting your router, which I think is one of the steps)?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tcj1971
Rising Star

@pjmarsh

Yes done all the restart router etc but still able to use the Apps on mobile devices and also noticed Apps on the Xbox One

Safeguard works on all Browsers though, just not on Apps that are accessed through the Hub One via WiFi

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

@pjmarsh wrote:

I'm not sure encryption would matter.  It would be the address that the app/website is trying to access that would be blocked, ie before the encryption is even taking place.

It's possible that the apps already have the DNS addresses cached and thus don't need to do a look up for them again.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @tcj1971

Thanks for getting in touch.

Just to confirm, Safeguard is designed to prevent access to specific websites, or, specific types of websites that are accessed via the PN router and a standard web browser - it is not designed (and therefore we cannot guarantee its effectiveness or how it behaves) to block content in terms of app use.

Best wishes

Dave

tcj1971
Rising Star

Can someone, or the PN Staff member who replied to my message please reply to the response in my Open Question on my account

Thanks

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

I've just provided an update for you.

If you can post back here once you've responded we can get that applied for you

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
tcj1971
Rising Star

@MatthewWheeler 

I have replied to the question on my account

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

I've just updated it again for you

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team