Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safari thinks I'm in the USA

southken
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Safari thinks I'm in the USA

Hi,  I've got an macbook pro and this has just started to happen.  I use a lot of second hand book sites, all based in the UK, but they give me everything in dollars and assume I'm in the US and give me shipping rates for there.  On one of them I can't even alter it.  Does anyone know how to solve it?  Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Safari thinks I'm in the USA

See here for the reason https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/IP-addresses-not-UK-Can-customers-please-report-any-p...

Try switching your router off for a couple of hours, if you're lucky you'll pick up a different IP address.

Another option is to install Google Chrome browser on your Mac then add a free VPN browser extension such as Windscribe . If you register this gives you 10GB free per month. If you set the destination country to UK you should find it works.

The other solution is to pay a one of fee of £5 and get a fixed IP address from Plusnet.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

southken
Rising Star

Thanks for your reply Baldrick.  I'll try the router option first.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@southken    and  @Baldrick1   You can use "WINDSCRIBE" freee by using it as an "add on" with Firefox....( I think you have to "register" though )...  ( possibly other browsers too )..

And you can set the United Kingdom as your location..

Works very well,   I use it to watch German TV programmes which are blocked in the UK .

(

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@shutter

Yes it will also work with Firefox, but not Safari. You get 2MB free if you don't register and 10GB if you register. I have had no issues since registering, just a monthly email saying my allowance has been reset.

They also do a VPN for OS X but I assume that this would require a subscription as usage would exceed 10GB

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note.
Moved to 'Everything else' as it's a PN issue.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @southken

To further investigate this can you provide me with the websites you're having problems accessing because they're thinking you're within the USA?

Cheers.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
southken
Rising Star

Hi Gandalf, the main two are awesomebooks, I can alter the dollars to £ on this one but abebooks.co.uk is showing shipping to the states and I can't find a way to change it.  It wasn't always like that, it started a couple of months ago.

Thanks.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for this.

I've added your account details onto the open problem (IMT-76) we have so we may further investigate.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
southken
Rising Star

Thanks Gandalf, another one is google, for example if I googled cost for a new roof, it would come back with dollars and examples of work done in the US.  I thought it was because it was an apple mac as it never happened with Windows, but maybe not.