cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMF

Teatime
Grafter

SMF

I'm quite liking what SMF offers... And it's free? Is it possible/feasible to install it in our own CGI space?
11 REPLIES 11
Assos
Grafter

Re: SMF

Yup it's free and there shouldn't be any problems with it on CCGI, but I can't speak from experience on that.
you can get it from http://www.simplemachines.org/ if you want to have a looky Smiley
Teatime
Grafter

Good news... I'll give it a go... <thumbs_up icon>
Liam
Grafter

Yep.  I got it up and running without any problems using our CCGI / MySQL servers.
HSNetwork
Grafter

Best bit about it is that unlike most others SMF can (if you want it to) set all the perms for the files and folders for you during installation.
Although it doesnt take much, I found this usefull from a time aspect.
Starlord

Quote from: HSNetwork
Best bit about it is that unlike most others SMF can (if you want it to) set all the perms for the files and folders for you during installation.
Although it doesnt take much, I found this usefull from a time aspect.

I got to add that this is the bane of my (on line) life ... I have lost track of the number of people who have come to me with problems with the boards their setting up and its been down to permissions  Angry
Starlord
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Quote from: Liam
Yep.  I got it up and running without any problems using our CCGI / MySQL servers.

Any chance of giving a quick guide or is it really that simple?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Andrew_B
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Quote from: Liam

Any chance of giving a quick guide or is it really that simple?

Its as simple as upload the files to CGI, and run the install.php file!
It asks for all the details (SQL etc) during the 'install'
Assos
Grafter

Don't you have to run fixphpperms?
Andrew_B
Grafter

There is that too  Grin
HSNetwork
Grafter

But Dan,
The good thing with that is it asks for al the details and does it all itself. So really there is nothing more to do other than run the install.php script.
Dave_A
Dabbler

Quote from: Teatime
I'm quite liking what SMF offers... And it's free? Is it possible/feasible to install it in our own CGI space?

If you're using Joomla at the moment, insted of using SMF & then having to use a bridge to joomla, have a peep at Fireboard, it may only be at beta 1.02 RC2 but it is (in my humble opinion) far better than any other Forums out there currently