cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ridiculous file space and data transfer limits

oldgustav
Grafter

Ridiculous file space and data transfer limits

Here is an email I received this morning and my reply is below. Can anyone explain what is going on here? I wish I'd never moved my stuff over to Plesk.
Your username: oldgustav
Dear Mr Gary Loch
We've noticed that you've gone over your allowance for your Pay As You Host account on the domain : oldgustav.plushost.co.uk
You are currently using 1.57 M of filespace with 1.25 M of data transfer. The limits for your account on this domain are as follows:
2.00 M of filespace.
1.00 M of data transfer.
You should either reduce your usage or upgrade your account. To find out the details of our other accounts go to http://payh.co.uk/price.php. To upgrade, login to your control panel, click 'Home', 'My Account' and then select 'Account Change'.
After 7 days we will reassess your usage level and if the situation remains unchanged then we reserve the right to temporarily suspend hosting for the domain.
Need help?
----------
If you have any questions or are experiencing a problem let our Support Team know.
Contact us on 0870 284 0284 (national rate) or email support@pay-as-you-host.com
Kind regards,
PAYH Customer Support
http://www.payh.co.uk/
Dear Plus Net,
Do I really only have 2.00Mb of file space and 1.00Mb of data transfer or is this a hoax email? I have been a customer of PlusNet for getting on for 10 years. I have introduced and signed up half a dozen r more new customers to you. I have hosted my three, very basic, low-traffic websites on the old web space for years without problems. I moved to Plesk on your recommendation because my .php files would not work on the old servers. I don't see why I should pay for web hosting when I already pay for ISP services and have a Home Phone contract with you. Please could you explain what is going on because I am very confused by all this and seriously contemplating a switch to another ISP and returning to BT for phone services.
Thanks.
Gary.
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Ridiculous file space and data transfer limits

I know nothing about this new system but this is the information we have been given so something is badly adrift.
Step 1
The following hosting products are available as part of our hosting trial, please select the product you would like:
# Residential Free - 250MB storage, 1.5GB data transfer per month, 1 MySQL Database, community support only.
# Business Free - 500MB storage, 3GB data transfer per month, 1 MySQL Database, community support only..
https://portal.plus.net/wizard/index.html?Ea82ChdSAqqwtYJcjZV%2Fjl8BeHfnW7og%2B6uepUaA3n7FyRVJeEpVZmAn%2BmD7457MPaqG5%2BFWhEc%3D
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

When you add a domain to Plesk by default it is given allowances of half your total allowance for the PAYH account. You will probably need to go in to the domain and select the Limits icon and increase the limits on that domain.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The values set for your domain are much smaller than what should be the default "half" values.
I suggest you log into your Plesk control panel and click the Limits icon; check the values shown there for your account. These should show 250MB disk space and 1536MB/month maximum traffic.
If that is correct return to Home, select your domain.then click the Limits icon for that. You can set these limits to whatever you like up to the account maximum (assuming you have only the one domain to share these among).
If you have more than one domain on the account it will be necessary to adjust the relative allocations to get the balance you require.
David
glyndev
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
When you add a domain to Plesk by default it is given allowances of half your total allowance for the PAYH account.

When you add a domain to the PAYH server it automatically assigns 10M of your webspace to that domain. This figure can only be increased and cannot be decreased. and the username.plushost.co.uk can't be decreased below 10M of your webspace.
oldgustav
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
The values set for your domain are much smaller than what should be the default "half" values.
I suggest you log into your Plesk control panel and click the Limits icon; check the values shown there for your account. These should show 250MB disk space and 1536MB/month maximum traffic.
If that is correct return to Home, select your domain.then click the Limits icon for that. You can set these limits to whatever you like up to the account maximum (assuming you have only the one domain to share these among).
If you have more than one domain on the account it will be necessary to adjust the relative allocations to get the balance you require.

Well the limits for the account are 250Mb/1536Mb, so that's okay. I have three domains on the account, each set to 50Mb/500Mb plus the default username domain that I use to test simple things before deploying in my websites. This one I appear to have set to... 1.0Mb/2.0Mb - and here was the problem, because I was using it to test a couple of things this week. Sorry to have ranted off like that. Embarrassed Thanks too, to all that responded.
But can I just say that the data transfer limit does still seem very low.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The limits are calculated differently on PAYH to the old servers where a single heavy day could result in your website being pulled even if the usage for the month would be well within the 30*daily allowance limit.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think the assumption was made that static pages would be on Homepages and just dynamic content (cgi) on PAYH. This would require less bandwidth on PAYH. However I suspect that many users find it easier and far more convenient to have everything in one place.
David