Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reverse DNS search shows account name

FIXED
DIYGUY40
Hooked

Reverse DNS search shows account name

I've been checking DNS entries on my router to tighten firewall security and have discovered that my DNS IP displays a huge amount of account names including my own! My Plus.net account had firewall set to low as default. Has this setting leaked my details for all to see?
Tags (3)
12 REPLIES 12
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Reverse DNS search shows account name

Thanks for your post @DIYGUY40

The firewall hasn't caused this per se, but for our firewall to work, you'll need a static IP so if you haven't got one already, we'll add it for you automatically free of charge, and the default rDNS setting for a static IP is username.plus.com

I've raised a NetOps task to remove your username from the rDNS record which should be done within 5 working days. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DIYGUY40
Hooked

Thank you for your reply.
I would like to use Plusnet's firewall so would be happy to take up the offer of the free static IP. I'm assuming this IP would be notified via the email on my account? Also, would it be possible for a different [name].plus.net rather than the account name as it is now on rDNS? Definitely would feel more comfortable if a bit more obscure!
Many thanks Gandalf! 😁
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Thanks for getting back to me @DIYGUY40 

No problem, we've already applied a free static IP to your account, it's temporary for as long as you have the broadband firewall enabled (or the Pro add-on, or if you ever go into failed payment). Having a static IP routes your connection across our network slightly differently and these services will only work in this way.

You can find out what your static IP is by going to a website like https://www.whatismyip.com/

We can set a rDNS to either the default setting of username.plus.com, static IP.plus.com or a domain name. 

I've chosen static IP.plus.com but if you've got a domain name you'd like your rDNS pointing to, could you private message me the domain? You'd need to create the A record first and we may ask for proof you own it. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DIYGUY40
Hooked

I think for the time being, I'll take your advice and go for the static IP.plus.com. It's good to know that if I need to, I can change this to my domain name when/if I get one. Thanks for all of your help! 😁
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem, the task should be picked up and done within a week. Let me know if you need any further help Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DIYGUY40
Hooked

Morning Anoush!
Thanks for the email earlier and for all of your help!! 😀
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hiya, no problem at all. Let me know if there's anything else you need help with Cheesy

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): The fix has been changed to @Gandalf as per message #4.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

lukemiller

Hi  @Gandalf 

Are you able to please help me with a similar issue? I have a Static IP address for my Plusnet account, and only just realised that my username is being exposed publicly through my hostname showing as [username].plus.com. Changing this to static IP.plus.com would be ideal.

Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Luke

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there Luke, I can see to that for you. I've opened a support ticket on your account: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=221998329 can you reply back to that ASAP please and drop us a reply back on here when you have?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
lukemiller

Thank you very much @adamwalker 

I've now responded to the support ticket you kindly created, providing confirmation to change the rDNS for my IP. Changing this to static IP.plus.com would be ideal.

Luke

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us Luke,

I've raised a NetOps task now and we'll change the rDNS task as soon as possible, which should be within 3 working days.

If you have further issues or there's anything else you'd need help with, feel free to get back to me and I'll be happy to help.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet