Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reverse DNS please.

FIXED
rexelten1
Hooked

Reverse DNS please.

I've just called technical support to be told that they cannot change my rDNS record and that I should contact the domain registrar where I bought the domain. I tried to explain that this was not the case but couldn't get anywhere.

Could someone fix this for me?

TIA.

10 REPLIES 10
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Reverse DNS please.

Where you asking for your rDNS to be a subdomain of one of your domains? If so, the first step is to get an A record created for that subdomain pointing to your static address.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rexelten1
Hooked

Thanks for your quick reply. 

No, the rDNS is for a top-level domain for which I have created an A record.

Jon
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 3

Hi @rexelten1 

As @pjmarsh says, the forward record needs setting up first before we can add the reverse record. If you can therefore ensure that the forward record is in place we can then add the rDNS for you. Feel free to PM me your username and I'll ensure it is added for you Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Jon Smith
 Plusnet Infrastructure Operations Professional
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

@rexelten1, is that A record pointing at your static IP Address and has it had sufficient time to have propagated?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rexelten1
Hooked

Yes I created it last week. 

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

In that case it's probably either the support agent has misunderstood that you have done that, or misunderstood what they need to do.  They probably don't get many requests for it these days. Your best bet is probably to take @Jon up on his earlier offer

rexelten1
Hooked

Hi folks.

Just checking on how my reverse DNS is progressing. I've heard nothing yet from support.  I took @Jon up on his offer, by the way. 

Just curious, but what's the usual time frame for this? 

Thanks.

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Fix

Hello @rexelten1,

Your reverse DNS has now been updated and the changes should take effect within 24 hours.

Feel free to get back in touch if we can be of further assistance.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
rexelten1
Hooked

Just a quick note of thanks to @Jon and @Jubby for sorting this out.  

My reverse DNS has been updated and the issue resolved (pun intended).

Cheers.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Glad to hear it's sorted!

Let us know if you have any further issues

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team