Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reverse DNS on my Dynamic IP shows my Plusnet username

FIXED
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Reverse DNS on my Dynamic IP shows my Plusnet username

Hi, I noticed recently when I perform a reverse DNS lookup of my Dynamic IP address, it returns my plusnet username which I understand should not normally be possible with a Dynamic IP from Plusnet.

ie..  username.plus.com

I recall many many years ago, there was a Plusnet network wide problem (I think it had something to do with packet loss through certain plusnet gateways affecting multiple customers).   I vaguely recall I may have been assigned a temporary static IP address to help Plusnet fault find.   I believe the static IP was later removed and I reverted to normal Dynamic IP assignment.

Yesterday, I opened a ticket via Plusnet website, to request my username is removed from rDNS lookups because I have a Dynamic IP.  Ticket no. 209418574

Unfortunately, I think the agent who has responded to the ticket this afternoon, may not have understood my request, or I didn't explain it very well.

Please could another agent look at the ticket?

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Reverse DNS on my Dynamic IP shows my Plusnet username

Fix

Thanks for your post @bill888 

I'm sorry for the confusion. From what I can see you have a static IP we've added free of charge. We've started doing this as of the last year or so due to some changes we've made internally. We'd add a static IP if you go into failed payment, or have the Pro-Addon, or Broadband Firewall enabled on your account. 

As it's not possible for us to remove the static IP unless the above criteria's not met, I've raised a task with our NetOps team to change the rDNS records. I've added more specific information onto your ticket 209418574. 

I hope this helps. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bill888
Champion

oh, I didn't realise I now had a static IP.  

If I was to turn off the Firewall, will my account automatically revert to 'Dynamic IP' and remove the rDNS entry that displays my Plusnet username?    (I suspect 'No' ?)

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @bill888 

Yes it should do although it may take 24-48 hours to automatically remove the forced static IP.

We can manually remove this but the system will automatically add it back on if one of the 3 criteria's met.

Having said that, I've had confirmation just now that your reverse DNS has now been updated and the changes should take effect within 24 hours. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bill888
Champion

Thank you for your help.  The rDNS change was completed this morning.

I'll consider turning off the firewall (I think it was set to 'Low' setting from when I joined Plusent over a decade ago) to revert back to a Dynamic IP later.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Awesome, no problem at all.

Let me know if there's anything else you'd need help with

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet