Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reverse DNS change

FIXED
jewelie
Dabbler

Reverse DNS change

Hi

We have a static IP, could we have our reverse DNS changed from <username>.plus.com to the IP number variant?

Thanks

Julie

12 REPLIES 12
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Reverse DNS change

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to Everything Else 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Fix

Thanks for getting in touch @jewelie

I've processed the rDNS update for you and you should see a change within 24 hours.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jewelie
Dabbler

Many thanks for your help. 

I've been really impressed with Plusnet's customer services so far, both online, via live chat, and telephone.

Warm regards

J

abails0105
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 60

Glad to hear you're happy with the service @jewelie

If we can assist with anything else in the future, don't hesitate to let us know

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alice Baillie
 Plusnet Help Team
Tony7

Matthew, I have a similar issue and opened support ticket 199063873 but was told this afternoon that this is not something you can help with.  A friend, also on PlusNet and hosting a mail server, has been having issues recently and it would appear, since DNS settings and port forwarding are correct, that PlusNet is blocking certain ports.  The advisor this afternoon suggested that PlusNet does not have this level of control over its servers.

Can this be correct?

Tony

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

@Tony7 ... I've done it for you, but not exactly as you wanted it. I'll explain on the ticket. Come back here if you have any problems (and please advise of the ticket here for the second account).

Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
waterend

Hi Tony,

I too have a web/mail server and am worried that in the near future Firefox will be using a DNS of their choice here too (https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/02/25/mozilla_turns_on_dns_over_https_by_default_for_usa/). This is going to mean that I too need my (outside) IP address to reflect back to my broadband rather than anywhere else....

Could you do the honours for me too please - as you clearly know how to do it!

Many thanks in advance

Neil.

Tony7

Hi Neil.

I fear you have the wrong Tony! You need Tony at PlusNet Help Team .  I cannot set up rDNS - he can

Tony

Tony7

Thanks Tony.  Maybe I should have made it clearer.  I own guyton.me and have changed the DNS records so that that domain points to my IP - so I assume the rDNS on my IP can resolve to that domain.  The other ticket reference is 

Again I am the registrant for that domain (ashleighresidents.info) and control the DNS and the account owner would like the rDNS to point in the direction of that domain.

On another issue, is it possible that some of your older IP addresses (from before PlusNet were taken over by BT) have more access than more recently assigned IP addresses?  I am at my wits end trying to allow ports 587 and 1194 in to web/mail server on the ashleighresidents.info domain.  Using the same process for all ports, and checking with port-checking tools, most ports that I want open are open - but at least two cannot be opened.  Traceroute gets stuck at PlusNet  

waterend

Sorry Tony7 - I did mean the Tony at PlusNet Help Team....

I use Waterend and actually use Firefox, so I'm going to be bitten WHEN they introduce DNS-over-HTTPS as my local DNS server won't be used... So could my (normal, static) IP be pointed back to me please ...

Like other, when I talked to support a while back they didn't understand what I was talking about Smiley

Thanks

Neil.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Slightly off-topic, but DoH can easily be disabled in Firefox. Neither are there currently plans to enable by default in the UK.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

And, @bobpullen , it can also be enabled, should you so wish.

John