Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reverse DNS Record Change

FIXED
Mark-S

Reverse DNS Record Change

Hi all,

Just curious as to whether this is still a thing. The "Configure Static IP" link under the account says to request a change through the help assistant, yet I received back a response saying to contact. Going through support I was told the faults team could handle it, and had a call passed to them. They've come back saying they're unable to do this or provide information on it. Yet, I can see posts responded to here where this has been raised to the NetOps team to resolve.

If this is still something possible, could I please get the rDNS against my Static IP changed from username format to IP format?

Kind Regards,

Mark

12 REPLIES 12
deljones
Hooked

Re: Reverse DNS Record Change

Hiya Mark.

Not sure how you are getting on with this but I'll share with you where I got with the same request. I'll spare you the boring details.

It has taken 10 days to get an answer to this which is a bit shoddy. I have a fixed IP address and want rDNS to make my mail server "friendly".

The answer came back today. Finally.

You can have rDNS but you have to have a business account which is 22 quid plus VAT a month for a two year fixed term.

I am told that rDNS is not available to residential customers regardless of how long you have been with them and regardless of your ip be it fixed or dynamic as your ip changes once they give you rDNS?

Not the best result but there it is.

Hope this helps

Dj

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I am told that rDNS is not available to residential customers regardless of how long you have been with them and regardless of your ip be it fixed or dynamic as your ip changes once they give you rDNS?

That's complete and utter rubbish you've been told there!

Let me try escalating this to see if I can get a more sensible response from one of the more experienced Help Team staff

@Mark-S @deljones  do you both just want your rDNS anonomised OR do you want it set to something specific ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

deljones
Hooked

Thanks for chipping in.

Well, it has taken 10 days to be told "That's complete and utter rubbish you've been told there!" It also took two raised tickets to be told it wasn't possible. It is a bit poor really that during the process nobody at the first line of CS didn't know really what it was I wanted, and the guy today, who called me incidentally, was quite rude and dismissive... A real "computer says no" approach.. Sad Sad

I just wanted rDNS to my self-hosted domain so my email server played by the rules...

Regards

Dj

Mark-S

Thanks for the information @deljones and @MisterW!

I have no need for something specific, just anonymised if possible.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

@Mark-S @deljones Sorry for the issues you've had getting your rDNS records changed.

I've raised NetOps tasks to see if we can that done for you and I'll post back when I know more.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
deljones
Hooked

@Gandalf Thanks for your reply and of course your help...

Standing by!

Regards

Dj
Mark-S

@Gandalf Thank you, it's very much appreciated!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

We've updated the rDNS now and you should see the changes within 24 hours

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
deljones
Hooked

@Gandalf well how easy was that....

Thank you so very much Gandalf, I really appreciate your time and effort. Top marks!

Large ones all round!

Dj

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Apologies for the difficulties with this.

Let us know if there's anything else you'd need help with

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mark-S

Thank you, @Gandalf, it's very much appreciated.

Hope you have a good weekend!

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483
Moved: