Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returning a router

hcprieto
Hooked

Returning a router

Hi!

I just cancelled my service as a result of moving to another place.

I would like to return the router to PlusNet. Where should I request a return bag to send it back?

Thanks!

Pedro

8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Returning a router

See here under 'Hand the old equivalent product back...' https://www.plus.net/help/legal/plusnet-and-the-weee-legislation/. If you want to save the postage cost then our council will collect small electrical equipment on recycling bin days, yours might offer the same service or take it to your council recycling system.

You could of course flog it on Ebay for a few pounds.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

hcprieto
Hooked

Thanks, Baldrick1,

I would have expected that PlusNet cared more about its own routers, and sent some paid postage return bags to their customers, to have the routers collected.
This is what other providers, for example TalkTalk, make. And reading some other posts I got the impression that PlusNet also did it, at least in the past.

Additionally: it is not just "old equipment". It is fully functional and modern, and could be used by other client.

In a moment when more and more people are getting seriously concerned about climate change and the negative effect of human actions on the global ecosystmes... this lack of care may affect the image of PlusNet negatively.

Kind regards,

Pedro

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @hcprieto 

In a moment when more and more people are getting seriously concerned about climate change and the negative effect of human actions on the global ecosystmes... this lack of care may affect the image of PlusNet negatively.

This is exactly why we take part in the WEEE scheme. 

*taken from the link @Baldrick1 shared* 

"The Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Regulations have been put in place to ensure that Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) is recycled using the best available treatment, recovery and recycling techniques to ensure human health and high environmental protection.

For example, the regulations seek to minimise the disposal of WEEE as unsorted general domestic waste.

This is because where WEEE finishes up in a landfill it can cause soil and water contamination. This can have a harmful effect on the natural habitat, wildlife and also human health.

When you have finished with a WEEE product, please do not put in your domestic waste bin, as it will not be recycled."

Thanks, 

MoR

hcprieto
Hooked

Thanks, MasterOfReality,

You tell me about what you do, which is to take part in the WEEE scheme, and is great!

But I was talking about what you do NOT do, as compared with competitors:

1.- Attempt to reuse the routers, instead of directly considering them waste, no matter for how long they were used. Recycling is very good, but reuse should be tried before recycling if you really care.

2.- Facilitate that customers can return the routers free of charge. I do not know how much money you save in a year by avoiding to take care of the postage of the router. But I am sure that not doing so means that a higher percentage of the routers will end not being properly recycled, because of your decision to save money.

So... I don't think PlusNet should be self-satisfied just by being part of WEEE, but try a little harder.

Kind regards,

Pedro

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @hcprieto 

We also have returns bags which can be sent out free of charge to customers. 

In regards to reusing routers - this is, I'm afraid, above my pay grade to answer. Nevertheless, i'll pass it is over as feedback to the powers that be and see if I can get you a reply.

All the best, 

MoR

hcprieto
Hooked

Dear MasterOfReality,

Thanks for your answer. I do not really need any reply from the powers that be. I just made a comment, which PlusNet may pay attention to or ignore.

Regarding the return bags, this was actually my only original question: "Where should I request a return bag to send [the router] back?"

The link I received in response (the WEEE one) states that I should pay for sending the router back.

So... if you have return bags, clearly you are not making very easy to request them.

I have already lost a lot of time trying to sort this out. 😞

Again: if PlusNet is committed to provide good customer service and care about the environment, it should not be this difficult to get this done. You should not force customers to waste energies asking in forums.

Regards,

Pedro

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@hcprieto

You are going to have to explain to me the environmental advantage of using resources and probably a plastic returns bag to return a single router to Plusnet when your local council could lump it with all the other electrical waste they collect and send off in bulk to recyclers.

Can you imagine the outcry if new customers received a second hand router? That's why I suggested flogging it on Ebay or similar, that way it will be reused.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@hcprieto, what router do you have? If it's a Hub One, then we will be reaching out to you in course and arranging a returns bag. It's something we've recently started doing.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵