cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request to create a Poll please.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Request to create a Poll please.

It has been mentioned before that only a few people can start a poll, so I would like to ask anyone with that permission to create a poll with the following question.

Would you like Plusnet to implement IPv6 before the end of this year?
Yes
No

If you can't or won't an explanation would be appreciated.

14 REPLIES 14
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Request to create a Poll please.

Maybe a couple of other options.

• Don't understand (what's IPv6?)
  • No opinion either way
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had though of asking that @jelv but to be honest I thought it would be preferable to get a definitive answer.

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

But what percentage of plusnet customers would it represent? Even here only a minority of signed up community members seem active so....... 

Interesting idea otherwise. 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well that would be down to how the poll was implemented and I do agree there is a minority. Having said that it is these very members that may well be interested in making use of IPv6, I for one would like to have it.

As for the percentage; Plusnet know how many members they have so if all of the votes polled are reduced to eliminate those without an IP in the Plusnet ranges then that would give a percentage. It may be a small percentage but the number of votes cast should be extrapolated out to get a true figure.

Equally, if there were a lot of votes cast outwith the Plusnet IP ranges it could be taken that if IPv6 is applied more customers may join to get it.

P.S. I was told this morning that A&A have offered IPv6 for 10 years!

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): This thread is now in the appropriate board.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Mav
Fixes: 514

To be honest I can't see what such a poll could achieve.

Perhaps a survey on the main site would be more productive?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Anonymous
Not applicable

The intention would be to gauge the level of interest / demand in IPv6. Only Plusnet know why they haven't implemented it yet or if there is even a timetable to do it. If we knew when this would be it would reduce the number of questions related to it. As for the poll it may be useful to Plusnet to know the level of demand for it allowing them to better plan for it or indeed something else, subject to the outcome.

I agree @Mav here maybe isn't the best place given the arguments above so the main site would be a better place and might produce a better results set.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I'm not sure what such a poll would achieve @Anonymous.  

Historically polls on the forum do not garner many votes, so statistically they are not very representative Embarrassed.  So whilst lack of IPv6 is not seriously affecting the "bottom line" it is low priority in product Dev't.

Plusnet did run an IPv6 trial between 2013 and 2016  and then decided to not continue the trial when the (then) new network was introduced Embarrassed  The case FOR IPv6 is well rehearsed in the board quoted above, but sadly many (if not most?) of the Users wanting the service have migrated to other suppliers and any potential new users needing IPv6 just don't sign up?

Don't get me wrong!  I'm very pro getting IPv6 implemented, but when a long running Board is not getting results I cannot see what a poll would achieve.

I will flag the topic (again!) for review.  

Superuser citation

This topic has been cited by one of the Superusers; the purpose of which is to provide a note for information which might help to focus continued discussion (but might not result in a staff response).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

@Anonymous wrote:

Having said that it is these very members that may well be interested in making use of IPv6, I for one would like to have it.

To what objective purpose?

Its a transport layer for which 99% of users don't really care about - it routes your internet traffic from here to there and back again.  Until such time as services become IPv6 only what's the really must have criteria for making IPv6 available, beyond others have it and some advanced users want to play with it? Undecided

Its not so different as to jumping on a train - some are clapped out old bangers and some are swish and more modern, but they both get you from A to B just the same sharing the same steel rails.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I said that based on previous comments and the many requests and posts to have it supported so I assumed there was a demand for it and the poll was to determine the level of that demand.

I know I'm wasting my time but there was no harm in asking.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Mook,

I think its fair to say that suppliers will focus on priority MUST haves.  Whilst I do not disagree that IPv6 would be nice to play with, not having it does not inhibit functionality until such time as a service provider chooses to jump off the cliff and stop providing IPv4 access.  Until that happens I think the reality is that Plusnet has other fish to fry and users are not overly missing anything other than the opportunity to play with technology..

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Anonymous wrote:

It has been mentioned before that only a few people can start a poll.

Can't the mods do it, with their mod permissions. If someone requests it?
Subject to it being a valid and not silly request of course.

If so, I think it should be part of the forum rules, that to create one you need to request it and approval needed before it is posted.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don’t know if they can @Alex, but even if they could @Mav made a very valid point in message 7 saying that if any polls were to be created putting in on the main site may be the best place and I have to agree, it may well stand a better chance there.

But I doubt if this will ever happen as evidently Plusnet have other priorities and polling site visitors on IPv6 is not one of them, which is fair enough, so I am just going to let this one die of natural causes.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I remember the days of the PhP BB2 forums.

Yes you used to get a lot of nonsense polls - but then it is the mods work to remove them when they occur (sorry about the more work mods).

If it were a non-serious but a bit jokey poll then I think it can be restricted to the forums. Mods can act if needed.

A more serious one, I would agree to be put on the main site.