cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renewable hosting. Is there a market?

seanbranagh
Grafter

Renewable hosting. Is there a market?

I am tired of reinstalling Windows on the same computers over and over again and setting up the odd site/emails etc. My interest is in hosting.
I can see that there is more webhosts in the country than I have had hot dinners but there doesn't appear yet to be that many fully renewably powered hosts. There is a couple of big names and a few small "one man shows". From what I can see the smaller ones are lacking in one very big way, instant setup. One in particular does not even sell domain names.
This is where I would plan to be different. Using AWBS which I have being experimenting with I could offer everything that you would get from a large hosting company, instant setup, domain reselling, full control over domains, nameservers etc. and obviously full control panel access to your solar powered hosting server. My preference for this would be Virtualmin which I am now very familiar with on my own servers. Of course if there was a demand then the cost of cPanel could be justified.
Obviously I would be reselling server space in sunny California (I have a company in mind) as opposed to spending thousands on solar panels and batteries to run 1 small server here in December!
There would not be a large cost involved in setting this up and I would break even after about 10 accounts. I anticipate that the biggest job would be providing support but if I had that many customers where support required that much time then I would probably be in a financial position to provide full time support i.e. abandon my full time employment. I definitely have the confidence in my own techinical knowledge to be able to provide the support
Is there a market for this or am I just being a little to simplistic about the whole idea?