cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing a site from www.users.globalnet.co.uk

sfgreenwood
Dabbler

Removing a site from www.users.globalnet.co.uk

I hope someone at Plusnet knows about this as it's they or the Madasafish people (if they are still separate) who should know about the server.
Back in the 90s I made web pages for some friends and hosted them on their Globalnet account. The account has long been terminated but the site is still up (it's http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~mapy) and still shows up in Google searches for the band and label despite being last updated 15 years ago. Is there any way of getting the site removed as of course the account is inaccessible as it was cancelled.
I worked at Global back in the dim dark mists of time and can remember that the users web server was moved to a HP mini system in about 1998 so I have this vision that it's still sitting in a machine room somewhere soldiering on and that no-one knows how to get into it any more...
9 REPLIES 9
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Removing a site from www.users.globalnet.co.uk

Globalnet is now a Plusnet brand and the site is hosted on Plusnet servers. I expect someone will be along soon who can sort this out for you. Smiley
David
NedLudd
Grafter

Gordon Bennet! That brings back some memories. My first ever ISP was Globalnet way back when.
I joined them from CompuServe when Adam was a lad!  Wink
Geoff,
York.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It's been a while since I've looked at one of these! Let me see what I can do here, the biggest issue is that the account linked to it doesn't exist anywhere 😕
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
sfgreenwood
Dabbler

That's what I suspected, I don't suppose getting the original account owner to send you an email would even amount to much now...
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Sorry for not responding sooner. I'm getting this sorted.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
sfgreenwood
Dabbler

Great, thanks. I don't suppose you could retrieve the code and drop it somewhere before deleting could you? It's probably a pile of old HTML 0.9 that should be in a museum Wink
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

You can copy the page code yourself by browsing to the site then right clicking the display and selecting 'view source' (or similar). Choose 'Save page as...' on the text window file menu and save it to your own computer'.
The only internal references appear to be for images. If you right click and select 'view page information' (or similar) then the media tab you should be able to save each image to your computer.
David
sfgreenwood
Dabbler

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but I've just seen that this site is still up or has been restored. Is there anything that can be done to take it down? Can Google be persuaded to forget about it when there's no way of accessing the code or demonstrating ownership?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I'm not too sure how you'd ask Google to change their search results. Are you wanting the website taken down completely from our servers? If so, mind PMing me the username you had when you were with us?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet