Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Registering a .uk domain

FIXED
wfl
Hooked

Registering a .uk domain

I have some .co.uk domains registered via plusnet and I'd like to register the .uk equivalent. Apparently I can't go via other registrars as they say I need to use me existing .co.uk registrar. But, the domain management doesn't seem to have an option to register new domains anymore. So, where do I go from here?

14 REPLIES 14
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Registering a .uk domain

Hi there.

I've discussed this with our domains team and unfortunately we aren't registering new domains anymore.

You'll need to find a domain provider like 123Reg I'm afraid. Let us know If you have any further queries.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

As you are aware, until some time in 2019 owners of .co.uk domains have preemptive rights on registration of the .uk equivalent. However, as I understand it Nominet do not require the same registrar to handle both the .co.uk and .uk domains. They will accept .uk registrations from any (UK based?) registrar subject to certain conditions. I believe these include:

• the registration information for the .uk domain - name, address and contact information - has to be exactly the same as that on Whois for the .co.uk equivalent
  • the address has to be in the UK and not a PO Box
  • the email address needs to be identical and the registrant must respond promptly to a verification email that will be sent to that email address.

Clearly it is up to the registrar if they are willing to register .uk domains when they are not the registrar for the .co.uk equivalent. I believe the one mentioned in this topic chooses not to. However there are others that will. I recall Daisy being mentioned some time ago; I think their consumer business is now handled by Tsohosts. You could give them a call to check. However an internet search will identify others.

David
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@wfl wrote:

.So, where do I go from here?

Can't you move your .co.uk domain to a new registrant who will register a .uk domain for you? I'm with namesco and they gave me one for a few years without charge. It's obviously in their interest because they will collect the renewal fee in the future for two rather than one domain.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

wfl
Hooked

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll hunt around for a different registrar first and see how I get on. And indeed I could always transfer the existing domains out.

Cheers.

wfl
Hooked

Ok, so to follow up, perhaps not the smartest question, but... How would I know on a domain I registered over 16 years ago what the email address etc that was used at the time? Would my domain details have been updated to keep in sync with my account details on plusnet when they renew it each time?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

What do you need the email address for? Transferring a .uk domain should be as simple as telling us the IPS Tag of the new registrar.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Response deleted as whilst typing this Bob P has obviously sorted this out for you.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

wfl
Hooked

Well, initially I was going to try to register the .uk elsewhere. As Spraxyt suggested, this should be possible if I can match the exact details nominet hold for the .co.uk domains I have. Nominet says speak to your registrar to change details. So I'm thinking somehow plusnet must know them? Do they? Transferring out the .co.uk domains from plusnet and temporarily disrupting my sites just to register a corresponding .uk domain was the last option if trying to register .uk elsewhere was not possible (due to not knowing the original email and address etc).

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

As registrar for your .co.uk domain Plusnet should be able to see the information (name, address and email) recorded against the domain, and change/correct it if necessary. They can verify that "you" are the owner by following their standard data protection procedures.

Since the domain team will have to get this information for you I suggest raising a ticket to make the request by going to https://www.plus.net/wizard/. Scroll down to the bottom of the white area and click on Domains or DNS to bring up a ticket entry template. This will be headed DNS because Domains are now a legacy product. Ignore that.

Type your request and submit the ticket. Make a note of its number, then I suggest you post that number in a reply here for reference by the forum team in case some urging is needed to get a response.

David
wfl
Hooked

I raised the request, and it's been a week with no response, so perhaps a nudge is required. 

Ticket 178871205

also, as I have domains with the same issue on another account I administer, I've just raised a ticket on that one too. 179545556. Perhaps it'll be easier if they are both dealt with at once.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Fix

I've raised a task to the correct people for this information.

We'll update you as soon as we know more

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
wfl
Hooked

Perfect, thank you Matthew. I've got one domain registered now with the right info, the others, I didn't quite get the right answer to the ticket I raised on another account, so I've re-phrased the question and referenced the first ticket so hopefully that will resolve it.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

If you can post the ticket number I can raise a task for the same info

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
wfl
Hooked

Thank you for coming back, it's #179545556, although it seems to be in hand now. 

Thanks again.