cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redirect domain name

ESL
Grafter

Redirect domain name

Hi all, I'm a complete novice to all this domain malarky, but trying to learn with your guidance.
I currently have a domain registered, lets call it
    somewhere.co.uk
Currently I host this in my webspace on Plusnet.
I now need any visitors to - somewhere.co.uk - to be redirected to another domain completely, lets say
    somewherelse.co.uk
This won't be on a Plusnet server and is in preparation to let the original domain lapse when next up for renewal.
I think I can configure this using the "OTHER" option in the Member Centre, Domain Hosting Settings, but I'm not at all sure exactly how to do it.
My guess would be Leftfield might be "somewhere.co.uk" and that Rightfield would be "somewherelse.co.uk", but I don't really want to break anything.
Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks.
G
4 REPLIES 4
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Re: Redirect domain name

Hi,
There's 2 ways of doing this. One via DNS and one via using a meta redirect. The meta is quite easy, you just put the index.html file in the website as something like this

<meta HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" content="0; url=http://www.somewherelse.co.uk/index.html">
With DNS you need to be a bit more clever because for the domain www.somewherelse.co.uk you can set the option to Other and put
www on the left hand side and www.somewherelse.co.uk. on the right (note the trialling dot on  www.somewherelse.co.uk.) as a CNAME
BUT you also need to create an A record of 
somewhere.co.uk. (again note the trailing dot) with an IP address on the right hand side for the DNS entry to be valid. You can put this as the IP of your new webserver but it will need an entry for somewhere.co.uk in it's config or you can use the homepages IP address 212.159.9.91.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

An alternative to using DNS would be to add a permanent redirect using .htaccess in /htdocs on homepages.
See this post for an example of what is needed.
David
ESL
Grafter

Thanks for both of those tips.  Smiley
I just did it with a meta refresh for now, but I'll look to try the other options at the weekend when I have more time.
Very many thanks.
George.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

The benefit of the 301 permanent redirect method is that search engines will (or should!) use the target in its current results so it's good preparation for your eventual migration.
Mathew