cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recessing BT wall sockets.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Recessing BT wall sockets.

I’ve put this message in this forum as I thought it was the best place as it is applicable to ADSL as well as VDSL but if it needs relocating then please do so.

I have on my hall wall two Mk3 BT ADSL sockets, is there anyway I can have these recessed into the wall. I know it will only save about a 1cm of space, but all the same it’s something I would like done.

6 REPLIES 6
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Recessing BT wall sockets.

It's pretty standard type of back box, so why not?

The trick will be deciding who does it and how.... Azn (Can't imagine BT would be interested and in theory no-one else should)

Mine is semi-recessed, in that it half-overlaps the skirting board which goes around it. So someone at some time must have moved it.......  Lips_are_sealed

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, in theory a couple of plaster wall socket recess boxes could do it and I could do it myself, but it is allowed?

I agree with you regarding BTs interest, so maybe I'm on a hiding to nothing as I don't want to do it when it could have repercussions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mmm, I've just taken a closer look at these sockets and from what I see they may not even be capable of being recessed! Sad

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

There is a danger of course that you could disrupt the cable (easily done) and finish up having to pay any call out fee. Having said that I recessed mine and it does look a lot neater. 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Minivanman - Any chance you could provide of picture of that please, I'd be interested to see what you did.

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Here you go Mook.

The original socket was flush with the wall until BT changed it for a double Mk 3 facia which which brought it out by about half an inch. It's on a plasterboard wall with plenty of depth, but not enough to make it worth changing for such a small amount. The previous one stuck out about an inch and a half!  

Hope this helps. Thumbs_Up

unnamed (2).jpg 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville