cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding a Frontpage site with Kompozer

philwalton
Dabbler

Rebuilding a Frontpage site with Kompozer

Hello, sope someone can help. I have limited knowledge.
I had a site with Frontpage which I have started to rewrite with Kompozer.
First - I would like to tidy thinks and remove all my old files from the server but when I try this I get the message:
"Request denied.
Please verify that the file or folder exists and that you have the necessary permissions on the server to perform the requested operation."
I do not know how to give myself permission?
Second - I have been advised by Plusnet that I need to save some XHTML files as HTML files as the Plusnet server will not support XHTML files.
How  can I do this?
The pages I have are very dissapointing so far!!!  www.waltons.plus.com
Thank you for reading.
Phil Walton

9 REPLIES 9
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Rebuilding a Frontpage site with Kompozer

Hi philwalton
You need to rename your file "mayer.xhtml" for example to: mayer.html or mayer.htm
Hope this helps.
philwalton
Dabbler

Hi, thanks for the reply.
In Kopozer when using "save as" it gives the option of saving as XHTML or other files. I can't find a way of saving as HTML.
Can anyone help please with deleting old files from htdocs on the server - I get the message -  "Request denied.
Please verify that the file or folder exists and that you have the necessary permissions on the server to perform the requested operation."
thanks ..Phil
Gabe
Grafter

Quote from: philwalton
I can't find a way of saving as HTML.

In preferences/advanced, you can change the markup language to html.
deleting old files from htdocs on the server - I get the message -  "Request denied.

Is that message coming from Kompozer? If you can write to htdocs, you should be able to delete from it.
Gabe
hulls
Grafter

I might be talking rubbish (I often do!) but if the files were on the FP server, then they've already gone.  They won't be on the FTP server, just a pointer to the FP server.  If you can open  a network location using something like ftp://username@homepages.free-online.net/htdocs/ , then you'll get a view of the folder just as it was in Windows, and should be able to use it in the same way. I hope that helps.

John
philwalton
Dabbler

Thanks for the help.
Gabe, I found Tools Options Advanced and it was set as HTML 4 strict, so I am assuming the template I used was XHTML and so it remains as that.
Gabe/John, I have used cuteFTP to upload an images folder - I couldn't seem to do it in Kompozer and cuteFTP also gives the request denied message.
The folders are empty - this follows John's comment so the folders just sit there empty so perhaps I should live with it!
You have been very helpful, can I ask one more thing please - my site (very work in progress) is www.waltons.plus.com and works well on firefox and chrome and the links in place also work (eg walton, bethel, corbishley). However, in Internet Explorer, the index page appears but the links do not work - it is as though it does not like the pages because they are firefox files!!?Huh
Thanks again...Phil
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

walton for example is walton.xhtml is should be walton.html
Hope this helps
[Edit] Spelling
Animasu
Dabbler

Quote from: philwalton
my site (very work in progress) is www.waltons.plus.com and works well on firefox and chrome and the links in place also work (eg walton, bethel, corbishley). However, in Internet Explorer, the index page appears but the links do not work - it is as though it does not like the pages because they are firefox files!!?Huh

Firefox and IE have different ways of showing html and css, firefox follows the stadards set by w3c better. I always find it better to code web pages in FF first then just tweak them for IE, this might not be best practice but it works. You can always use code like

<!--[if IE]>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="ieproblems.css" />
<![endif]-->

This piece of code allows you to change a CSS style sheet just for use with IE(there are other options, like just for a certain version of IE, or less than or greater than a version), so if something isn't padded right, or need moving 5px to the left, you can place it in here.
Its also good to run them through validators Wink
http://validator.w3.org/
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
Hope this helps!
- Animasu
Gabe
Grafter

Gabe, I found Tools Options Advanced and it was set as HTML 4 strict, so I am assuming the template I used was XHTML and so it remains as that.

That would do it.
I have used cuteFTP to upload an images folder ... and cuteFTP also gives the request denied message.

Can I just check that you have cuteFTP pointed at ftp.plus.net? You need to open htdocs before you try to upload.
However, in Internet Explorer, the index page appears but the links do not work - it is as though it does not like the pages because they are firefox files!!?Huh

No, that's just IE being thick again. Never mind the css, it doesn't like xhtml. If you just change the extension to .html that can confuse some browsers when they find xhtml-specific content. You could recode the content of all your files as html or you could add a .htaccess file with the following lines

AddType application/xhtml+xml;q=0.8 .xhtml
DirectoryIndex index.xhtml index.html
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} \.xhtml$
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} MSIE [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_ACCEPT} application/xhtml\+xml\s*;\s*q=0\.?0*(\s|,|$)
RewriteRule .* - [T=text/html]

This allows you to call your index file index.xhtml and then tells IE that the content is something it isn't so that it can make a best guess at rendering. It usually works. (This is not an ideal solution because when an IE user calls the file through a caching proxy they can still pick up the wrong content type.)
Or you could add a message at the top of your page suggesting that IE users quit using junk like that. Wink
Gabe
philwalton
Dabbler

Many thanks for all the help. Much good stuff!
The major problem does indeed seem to be using XHTML instead of HTML.
Thanks you also for the code - will try this later.
Phil