Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really odd password problem

tonycollinet
Grafter

Really odd password problem

And moving on.....
I recently telnetted onto cshell to run fixphpperms.
When I logged on I was forced to change my password due to "aged". I did this by adding two characters to the end. I wasn't sure if this would affect my ftp logon so I tried it.
Sure enough - I needed the two extra characters. So far so good.
The only problem is that since then, my ftp client (filezilla) periodically refuses to connect. When this happens, I must change the password - either by adding, or removing the two characters. In other words the password seems to be randomly changing between the new password, and the old password. Can anyone explain what is going on?
Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11
Kwyjibo

Re: Really odd password problem

Hi
I had the same problem a few months back where it would seemingly switch between the old and new passwords. Eventually it go to the stage where neither would work. I raised a ticket with PN and after severals attempts at convincing them it wasn't a PEBKAC error, they finally fixed it.
tonycollinet
Grafter

It seems to have stabilised now.
tonycollinet
Grafter

Spoke too soon. I needed to logon again tonight with ssh, was forced to change my password, and now the ftp password is alternating again.
This is ridiculous
I'm raising a ticket.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

The way the password change works across the CGI platform is not ideal, and it can take an hour or so to synchronise across the platform. If it's taking longer than this then there may be a problem - please let us know if this is the case.
I'd also advise STRONGLY against changing your password using telnet, it's sent in plain text so can easily be sniffed. Use SSH instead. An easy to use small Windows SSH client is PuTTY - it's also free.
Gabe
Grafter

Similar problem: I’ve tried to change my cshell password twice in the last three days and it seems to stick for the day, but next day we’re back to the old one.
Thinking of which, perhaps the “Changing your CGI password” bit of the CGI guide should be changed. At the moment, it suggests using Telnet (see step 3). Mind you, some of us oldies still use telnet as a verb referring to any form of remote terminal, albeit wrongly, a bit like hoovering with a Dyson.
Gabe
tonycollinet
Grafter

Ben, You have misunderstood
The problem is NOT with sycnronisation of the password. Aftter I have changed the password on Cshell, it then ALTERNATES back and forward between old and new passords.
That means I must KEEP CHANGING THE PASSWORD I USE TO LOGON (to the FTP server - I don't logon to cshell so often). You system is changing the password backwards and forwards incorrectly.
This goes on for some days.
Gabe
Grafter

We still seem to have a problem.
Gabe
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Sorry for the lack of response, I've been very busy working on a new Datacentre. Has anyone here with this problem raised any tickets which have gone to our networks support team? I've had a quick look at the scripts that manage password changes on the platform but I can't see anything wrong, and unfortunately won't be able to look at it at the moment due to other work I've got on.
tonycollinet
Grafter

Yes - my ticket was actioned, and seems to have solved the problem.
See ticket number - 29083242
sophos9
Grafter

Tony, how did PN resolve it - I have exactly the same problem at the minute...
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

It looks like we just reset the password at our side which wouldn't suit you as you're wanting to do this yourself via the shell interface once we've reset things here. Looks like resetting things at the customer level might be problematic. I'm going to try it on my account and see what happens...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵