cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-route traffic from an external domain name/web address to my Plus Net space. How do I do it?

pfgpowell287
Dabbler

Re-route traffic from an external domain name/web address to my Plus Net space. How do I do it?

Hi,

I signed up to Plus Net in the pre-BT days and was given webspace which I’ve been using and still use. (They no longer do that but I was an early customer and we benefited in those days.)

I want to use Google Analytics but when setting up an account I found I can’t use the Plus Net webspace address (www.username.plus.com). So I simply registered a cheap domain name and now want any traffic sent there to be routed to my Plus Net space. But I can’t find any instructions on the Plus Net website as to how to do that.

I rang technical support but was told they can’t help and to ask on this community forum. Can anyone help me out? It is essentially a very straightforward task.

3 REPLIES 3
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Re: Re-route traffic from an external domain name/web address to my Plus Net space. How do I do it?

You will have to use the DNS resolver provided by the company that supplied the custom domain name, not Plusnet's DNS, to direct the domain  name to the Plusnet domain.

pfgpowell287
Dabbler

Re: Re-route traffic from an external domain name/web address to my Plus Net space. How do I do it?

I've looked on the website where I bought the domain name from and there are instructions, but I need in put the Plus Net space DNS address. Where do I find that or how do I get hold of it? Looking at the site is seems I need the 'Nameserver'.

I should add that I am a newbie at this end of things so all advice, however basic, will be appreciated.

pnet.png

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

I wouldn't think you need to put in the Plusnet DNS address. Plusnet's DNS won't know anything about your custom domain.

Every company has control panels set up differently (even though the underlying DNS fields are the same), so it is hard to advise you how to set it up.

However, at a guess I'd say that simply using the "redirect domain" setting may do what you want, i.e. redirect your custom URL to your plusnet URL. That way I wouldn't expect you to need any explicit DNS settings.