cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-hosting a domain at PN after domain update

npeirce

Re-hosting a domain at PN after domain update

Last night I moved one of my PN hosted domains to another domain registrar as I was not prepared to spend another £50 +vat for PN to renew a .co.uk when my other registrar will do it for £10.
I successfully moved my domain using the IPSTAG, my new registrar asked if I wanted to change the DNS records. I selected NO as I intended to get PN to just host the domain rather than have full control over it. I raised a ticket with support asking them to rehost my domain expecting it to be a quick process, as, after all the domain has not moved from their DNS servers where it has sat for the last 5 years. I spoke to them this evening and they advised me that it may take up to 48hours until it will be hosted as changes have been made to the domain records.
Is this right or was the person I spoke to out of his depth?
Look forward to the comments
Nige
3 REPLIES 3
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Re-hosting a domain at PN after domain update

DNS changes can take UPTO 48 hours to propagate around the net, so in theory the answer is correct.
Moving your domain away from PN originally would normally have removed the domain from PlusNets DNS servers (even though you said not to change the DNS on the domain). So PN would have had to add your domain back into the DNS servers.
As the DNS servers were not actually changed it should be a lot quicker than 48 hours. Note: while you may be able to access the website now because you use PNs DNS servers someone else on another ISP may not until their DNS servers are updated again from PNs.
npeirce

Thanks for the reply,
I understand that should the DNS records be updated it can take upto 48 hours, my only niggle here is that I did a "whois" before, during and after moving my domain and the only update to the record was the IPSTAG. I used several whois lookups (whois.co.uk, register.com amongst others) and none showed anything different.
Just a little concerned that I am being fobbed off, especially as I have phoned PN support twice today and my new open question has no updates on it, normally the support guys will put some update on even if it is only to say I rang!
itsme
Grafter

A Whois will show your Nameservers but it will not inform you whether they have any records for your domain on them. When you transferred your domain your new registrar asked whether you want to keep your existing PN nameservers or for them to be changed to theirs. You elected to keep PN's but as Peter has stated above as soon as a tranfer is done your DNS records on PN nameservers would have been deleted.