Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Personal alarm system with fibre connection

inspiredron
Grafter

Can I resurrect an old thread?

I have just had fibre installed.  We have a large house with many extensions and also a monitored burglar alarm with a communicator.

Today I have discovered that my fibre speed is 9Mbps in the test socket but only 4.5Mbps in the front of the faceplate.  Removing the bell connection from T3 of the faceplate makes no difference.  When we changed from a separate line for the alarm to using our normal voice and ADSL line (several years ago) I watched the alarm engineer fit a filter inside the alarm communicator which is hard wired to the back of oneof th eextension sockets.

I am now considering fitting a twin socket faceplate/filter to the NTE5a to separate out the ADSL and phone at source.

Question 1:  Is there any danger that by potentially double filtering the alarm communicator (always assuming that the communicator filter is still fully functional) that the alarm will not dial properly and connect?

Question 2:  Currently the Hub One is in my study on a normal extension connected with phone cable. It is inconvenient to move the Hub One to the vicinity of the master socket so I am considering running a CAT5e cable from the ADSL terminals on the back of the filtered faceplate to an RJ11 socket in the study (probably 20 to 30 metres of CAT5e cable).  Am I correct understand to use one twisted pair of the CAT5 cable?  I believe that the splitter faceplate has 6 terminals, 2,3,4,5,A&B, the last two being the unfiltered ADSL output.  My CAT5e pair will go to A&B and the other end to an RJ11 socket into which I can plug my Hub One.  The RJ11 plug normally has 4 connections, conventionally Black, Red, Green and Yellow in that order with the latch dowwards and cable exiting down.  Do I connect A to Red and B to Green (ie the centre pair and assumng that A is the positive on the incoming line or should they be reversed (or even some other terminals)?

I would be grateful for advice on this to optimise my new fibre line.  I have for some time had APPALLING copper ADSL speeds.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Changed thread title to reflect issue after splitting to new thread.

2 REPLIES 2
Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note:

Split to it's own thread, moved to Everything Else and changed title.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

First of all putting the router in your study on the end of a long cable is a bad idea. For optimum performance this needs to be close to the filtered NTE5 socket. Then run your Cat5e cable to your study. If you need more Ethernet outlets or wireless in your study then locate an Ethernet switch or wireless access point there. Both are quite cheap. If it is an ADSL filter fitted in your alarm it would probably be best if it is removed.

The final thought is that it is preferable if your extension cables are daisy chained and not star connected but the relative merits can only really be assessed on a try it and see basis.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'