cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Broadband speed

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Posts: 2,203
Thanks: 480
Fixes: 51
Registered: ‎13-08-2015

Re: Broadband speed

@ejs  your avatar is needed here, seems we have found another one posting  illogical maybe flat earth society logic who seems to contradict their own postings. 

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion
Posts: 1,182
Thanks: 511
Fixes: 24
Registered: ‎07-07-2009

Re: Broadband speed

@tiredeyes From previous posting style your modus operandi appears to be to ridicule anyone who disagrees with your agenda in any way. you are obviously a troll.

Highlighted
Grafter
Posts: 41
Thanks: 1
Registered: ‎30-09-2016

Re: Broadband speed

 

I've posted facts, screenshots, links and examples proving that websites share your data, here's yet another example of what information websites collect from you.

 

info held by websites2.gif

 

All I've gotten in response is ignorance.

Not one of you has posted evidence, facts, screenshots or examples to support your ridiculous claims that "BT wouldn't do that" even when I've shown you they do, they share your data.

Educate yourself > https://uk.pcmag.com/features/117876/how-companies-turn-your-data-into-money

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Posts: 552
Thanks: 355
Fixes: 1
Registered: ‎27-12-2019

Re: Broadband speed

No one is disputing the fact that the likes of BT, Plusnet, Netflix, Amazon et al harvest user data for their own and third party partners' use. It is my understanding that the accuser is the one that needs to provide the evidence of guilt @tiredeyes so do you have any that backs up your original claim?

"Using this service sells your phone number and the link should be blocked from this forum."

I for one cannot see how you can make such a statement based on the provision of a single phone number and the fact that you, like the World and its Wife get spam calls.

Consider this. What commercial value does this number have when there are no  identifying details provided? Selling the number like you imply is pointless when scam callers can auto generate any UK number they wish.

Highlighted
Grafter
Posts: 41
Thanks: 1
Registered: ‎30-09-2016

Re: Broadband speed

 

You've answered your own question with the first paragraph and the last paragraph.

 

You're right in that its called the burden of proof (not evidence of guilt) I don't have that solid proof but I think I have shown enough evidence that BT do collect and sell/share your data (as a bundle of all your data, not as individual elements) with third parties I'd also note that you and others HAVE disputed that BT harvest and sell data to third parties and now you have changed your tune after reading my evidence.

It's frustrating to have people sticking their ignorant noses in with unfounded claims that BT don't share your data, when they do.

I probably have 1 spam call a week like everyone else (as you say) but after I put my number into the speedtest link I got 20 in the next week (which still continues) perhaps it is coincidence but It's too much of a coincidence for my liking.

 

Try it yourself, if you think it's nonsense they'll be no harm done will there ?

 

https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

run speedtest, after it

click "additional diagnostic"

click "telephone number" enter your landline number

click "run diagnostic" and lets see if you get a surge of spam calls.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Posts: 20,155
Thanks: 2,790
Fixes: 41
Registered: ‎06-11-2007

Re: Broadband speed

@tiredeyes 

quote from @Mook  (post number 30 )


Consider this. What commercial value does this number have when there are no  identifying details provided? Selling the number like you imply is pointless when scam callers can auto generate any UK number they wish.

 

 

I just had a  brand new ( slim version) ... of       "The Phone Book".... put through my letter box.....

 

Guess what is inside...  ? ? ?  

 

Phone numbers...

and

Names....

(Personal information...... methinks  ? ? ?   )

 

 

Er.... doesn`t cost anything... comes FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE through the letterbox...

 

so why would BT  sell on any phone numbers to anyone..

 

when they provide them FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !

 

Of course.. if you are accusing BT of selling your.. or anyone elses phone number...

you will have access to the sales invoice, vat invoice...tax return detailing such transactions... etc... as proof of your accusation ... Yes  ? ? ?? 

I think NOT>.......

 

Or are you similarly accusing them of underhand blackmarket shady deals, hidden under a psuedonym in those accounts.. that are yet to be investigated by the Financial Ombudsman.

 

If you know of such deals, then it is your responsibility to pass on that information to the FRAUD SQUAD.... who I am sure will be delighted to take up the case...

 

 

P.S.   I have not had any spam phone calls for a few years now... .... don`t ask me why... just haven`t had any... not with TPS or any other organisation.... we just don`t get them....

 

same with spam emails... !   so NO... "Everyone does not get them "  ... a lot of people do...but not "everyone"... that`s just the way it is... 

 

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Posts: 552
Thanks: 355
Fixes: 1
Registered: ‎27-12-2019

Re: Broadband speed


@tiredeyes wrote:

 

... I'd also note that you and others HAVE disputed that BT harvest and sell data to third parties ...

I have not disputed any such thing so please get your facts right before you post any such comment about me.


@tiredeyes wrote:

It's frustrating to have people sticking their ignorant noses in with unfounded claims that BT don't share your data, when they do.

Prove it. If you have no proof, solid or otherwise do not make accusations you cannot prove, it is that simple.

 


@tiredeyes wrote:

I probably have 1 spam call a week like everyone else (as you say) but after I put my number into the speedtest link I got 20 in the next week (which still continues) perhaps it is coincidence but It's too much of a coincidence for my liking.

It is coincidental I'm sure of it. I use the speed test link at least once a month so I can check on the upgrade status of the exchange and I do not get any such calls.

I used to, until I got a call blocker and now I'll get one every 3 to 6 months.

 

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Posts: 2,526
Thanks: 947
Fixes: 50
Registered: ‎02-03-2016

Re: Broadband speed

I can't remember the last spam call I received as its so long ago yet I use the BTW speedtest regularly?Huh
Ex-Plusnetter now living life in the G,fast lane!
Highlighted
Grafter
Posts: 41
Thanks: 1
Registered: ‎30-09-2016

Re: Broadband speed

@shutter 

Such ignorance 🤣 you have just expressed my whole argument without even knowing it.

The numbers in the phone book are EXACTLY like your web data, you have not opted in/out (gotten an ex-dir number) therefore your phone number (data) is shared with third parties !!! (everyones letterbox is the third party)

 

@Mook 

1. I'd say this was you disputing this very thing.

"Does that policy not apply to BT Customers? Also I see no specific reference to their selling your data to third parties and the highlighted reference says to me that they'll use third party data for their marketing."

 

2. I have provided evidence to support my claim, that's all I can do for now, I have filled in a form asking what data they hold and what do they do with it but it will take a month, you can do it too > https://www.bt.com/consumer/edw/privacypolicy/copyform/bt/#/

 

3. I have asked members on this thread to try the experiment, I can't force anyone to comply nor is it a very good test of my theory. If you get almost no spam callers then you would be a good candidate to try out this theory, costs you nothing.

 

https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

run speedtest, after it

click "additional diagnostic"

click "telephone number" enter your landline number

click "run diagnostic" and lets see if you get a surge of spam calls.

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Posts: 552
Thanks: 355
Fixes: 1
Registered: ‎27-12-2019

Re: Broadband speed

It's all down to interpretation I guess so enough said.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Posts: 20,155
Thanks: 2,790
Fixes: 41
Registered: ‎06-11-2007

Re: Broadband speed


@tiredeyes wrote:

@shutter 

Such ignorance 🤣 you have just expressed my whole argument without even knowing it.

The numbers in the phone book are EXACTLY like your web data, you have not opted in/out (gotten an ex-dir number) therefore your phone number (data) is shared with third parties !!! (everyones letterbox is the third party)

 

 

Ignorance?  wow.... such a strong word and a personal  insult... therefore it is against forum rules,  which I have reported to moderators....

 

Your "whole argument" ...  started off with this statement..

Using this service sells your phone number.......

 

then you change it to...........

and they SHARE data 😂😂

continuing on with another insult to the previous poster.

love when you catch out a smart [-Censored-] !!

 

Having said that.. you then change tack slightly... again...

stating that "almost all websites share data"....

 

( I think we all knew that...... Roll_eyesRoll_eyesRoll_eyes)

 

Continuing with insulting other posters...  you state.... You clearly don't know what you're talking about kid.

returning to the points about "sharing" data.....

 

An interesting question ,...you should ask this of yourself.....

Why do people with absolutely no knowledge on the subject stick their nose in ?

 

Because it is clear you have not read the original posters query. and jumped in half way through

making bold statements that have nothing whatever to do with the original problem.

 

So...read your own words, and digest them.....

 

If you don't know what you're talking about then just keep your mouth shut, don't guess or surmise, it makes you look dumb.

 

I asked you if you had seen the accounts, receipts, invoices. tax returns... to prove what you started with... that the site SELLS your information to scammers...  

 

but you totally sidestepped those questions...

 

  I wonder why... maybe because you do not have any PROOF that the site does this...

and cannot substantiate the accusation.

 

If you could. then you would be talking to the Fraud Squad. in much more detail than an unsubstantiated statement on this forum board.

 

you said.......

Not one of you has posted evidence, facts, 

 

and you have not done so about the selling of information, by the site...

you then go on to state...

 

I have provided evidence to support my claim, 

 

but there is no evidence provided regarding selling of information......

 

All you  have done is copied and pasted several "privacy notices"  that we are all aware of, regarding "sharing"

not, "selling" information... which is the opening gambit of your "argument"....

 

Your whole argument.... either about selling or sharing information, has nothing whatsoever to do with the original query posted at the top of this thread....

so ask yourself your own question....

 

Why do people with absolutely no knowledge on the subject stick their nose in ?

 

and in your own words.......

 

If you don't know what you're talking about then just keep your mouth shut, don't guess or surmise, it makes you look dumb.

Highlighted
Grafter
Posts: 41
Thanks: 1
Registered: ‎30-09-2016

Re: Broadband speed

 

Lets be clear, when I say SHARE I mean SELL, when they state share they mean sell.

 

They don't share data for marketing purposes, they use this terminology but they SELL this data, nearly all websites SELL this "SHARED" data it's how they make money.

 

BT sharing data.JPG

 

"I asked you if you had seen the accounts, receipts, invoices. tax returns... to prove what you started with... that the site SELLS your information to scammers...

but you totally sidestepped those questions.."

 

I'll answer this question, which answers all your questions, clearly you're ignorant on the SHARE/SELL issue, I posted previous links and screenshots showing this which you've clearly not read or understood.

So AGAIN, I'll ask that you read this and educate yourself >>  https://uk.pcmag.com/features/117876/how-companies-turn-your-data-into-money

 

 

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Posts: 20,155
Thanks: 2,790
Fixes: 41
Registered: ‎06-11-2007

Re: Broadband speed

I refer to my previous post...

 

Your whole argument.... either about selling or sharing information,

 

has nothing whatsoever to do with the original query posted at the top of this thread....

 

 

so ask yourself your own question....

 

Why do people with absolutely no knowledge on the subject stick their nose in ?

 

and in your own words.......

 

If you don't know what you're talking about then just keep your mouth shut, don't guess or surmise, it makes you look dumb.

Highlighted
Grafter
Posts: 41
Thanks: 1
Registered: ‎30-09-2016

Re: Broadband speed

 

You're right it has nothing to do with the OP

 

But I used this post to fix my own issues (by searching for a fix rather than starting a new thread on a common issue) and then posted about the problems I got from using the mod approved fix suggestion.

 

... after that I have only responded to ignorant people like you !

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Posts: 20,155
Thanks: 2,790
Fixes: 41
Registered: ‎06-11-2007

Re: Broadband speed


@tiredeyes wrote:

 

You're right it has nothing to do with the OP

 

 

 

I rest my case....... despite the personal insults.....