cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Broadband speed

tiredeyes
Grafter

If you want a full speed check use this https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and then Further diagnostics for the IP profiles. Please connect to the test socket if you can, this helps us rule out problems with cabling and sockets in your home.

Please run the second link, and be sure to run and report the 'Further diagnostics'.

DO NOT put your phone number into this second link, I've since had dozens of scam calls since I used this thread to check my own slow speeds - all telling me my Amazon prime is going to be renewed at £79 (I've never had Amazon prime)

Using this service sells your phone number and the link should be blocked from this forum.

44 REPLIES 44
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

With all due respect, @tiredeyes , that is a load of rubbish. This is a totally legitimate, automatic service provided by BT and there is no way they would do as you claim. The scam calls are a pure coincidence.

John
tiredeyes
Grafter

Put your number in and run a test, lets get a dozen others (mods should volunteer) to do the same and we'll see 🤔

It's the only time I have put my number in the internet other than joining the TPS about 2 years ago, could be coincidence but I doubt it.

jab1
Legend

I don't want to get into an argument or long-winded discussion, @tiredeyes , but the tests are done over a secure connection, automatically and on the BT network. Why would such numbers be 'sold on'? - if BT wanted to break the law and do that, they could do it with everyone's - they already have a massive database that links the phone number to a user/property.

John
tiredeyes
Grafter

Don't be so naive Jon,

market you.JPGmarket you2.JPG

jab1
Legend

One problem there, @tiredeyes even reading that, it only allows them to use it for their own marketing, and they know that if they sold the numbers on, they would be breaking the law, so they don't. -I've been around long enough to know how to check before I post ill thought out comments.

John
tiredeyes
Grafter

😂😂

So you didn't think before posting that ILL THOUGHT OUT COMMENT - note the BT.com web address !!!

... and they SHARE data 😂😂 love when you catch out a smart [-Censored-] !!

jab1
Legend

Apologies - edited. I was also on a phone call.

John
Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Does that policy not apply to BT Customers? Also I see no specific reference to their selling your data to third parties and the highlighted reference says to me that they'll use third party data for their marketing.

tiredeyes
Grafter

The entire BT group (the weblink posted here belongs to the BT Group) and just believe me, they share data, almost all websites share data, if you actually go to the privacy policy and read it you'll see.

In fact, if you just read the screenshot I snipped you'd read:

"show you more relevant online advertising and work with other well known brands to make theirs more suitable too"

jab1
Legend

@Mook Yes, that is the privacy policy for BT not PN customers, and in any case a concern as big as BT would not risk flouting the law on personal data (GDPR).

John
jab1
Legend

@tiredeyes wrote:

The entire BT group (the weblink posted here belongs to the BT Group) and just believe me, they share data, almost all websites share data, if you actually go to the privacy policy and read it you'll see.

In fact, if you just read the screenshot I snipped you'd read:

"show you more relevant online advertising and work with other well known brands to make theirs more suitable too"

But that does not mean they would risk flouting GDPR by passing on personal data, i.e. your phone number

John
tiredeyes
Grafter

You clearly don't know what you're talking about kid.

The link is a BT WHOLESALE speed test link (owned by the BT Group) and posted by dvorak and the privacy policy TELLS YOU they share your data, you clicked that you accepted that when you used the website, same as here or any other website under EU legislation, you clicked accept to their privacy policy. All I have done is screenshot you the small print from that privacy policy.

So much for you implication that you never post an ill thought out reply 🤣 as that is EXACTLY what you have done.

Please don't reply until you have read and understood that privacy policy at https://www.bt.com/privacy-policy

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@tiredeyes All your posts are total nonsense, do you really think BT Wholesale would divulge phone number details to third parties for anyone using their speed tester? I don't think so, but you have your own ideas.

tiredeyes
Grafter

Why do people with absolutely no knowledge on the subject stick their nose in ?

Just read the BT privacy policy you agreed to when you used the site >

"Please read this privacy policy carefully. If you are visiting any of our websites or using any of our services, by continuing to do so, you indicate your agreement to our use of your personal information as set out in this privacy policy"

Do you really think PayPal would share your phone number, yet here it is, on their own website.

https://www.paypal.com/ie/webapps/mpp/ua/third-parties-list

What if a third party divulged my personal info?

If you don't know what you're talking about then just keep your mouth shut, don't guess or surmise, it makes you look dumb.