cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q for Plusnet: domain hosting on PAYG Standard

Be3G
Grafter

Q for Plusnet: domain hosting on PAYG Standard

I'm starting to consider my options in the event of leaving Plusnet, and one thing that I'd need to sort out would be domains/e-mail addresses. I currently have one domain and am considering getting a second one soon, both mainly for the purpose of having customised e-mail addresses. I understand that if I were to leave Plusnet I'd be able to downgrade to Pay As You Go Standard in order to retain my old username.plus.com e-mail addresses, but what would happen about the domain or two? Would I be able to continue having them hosted by Plusnet and if so, would there be a fee attached? I note that the feature list for Pay As You Go Standard says that only one domain can be hosted, and that attracts a ~£30/year fee, though I'm wondering if the arrangements are different for downgrading customers?
6 REPLIES 6
neilm
Dabbler

Re: Q for Plusnet: domain hosting on PAYG Standard

Hi, it's not really any different if you downgrade.  It tends to be restricted to one domain, then on top of hosting you have the renewal fees to consider.
Within the Plusnet group we also run a service called JustTheName.  You could more the domains across and just pay renewal fees as and when.  You also get a lot more control over your domains (ability to change Name Servers, DNS, point email back to your Plusnet account if you want, or elsewhere.  -  We'd more the domain over free of charge as a Plusnet customer.
We also have PayAsYouHost which is a full hosting solution which compliments JustTheName.
For more information take a look at: www.just-the-the-name.co.uk (and www.pay-as-you-host.co.uk) and let me know if you have any further questions.
Be3G
Grafter

Yep I'm already familiar with those thanks. The domain I've currently got isn't registered with Plusnet, only hosted, though I might be tempted to register the second domain (if I decide to get it) with Just The Name if the pricing ends up being comparable with what I'd pay elsewhere.
So just to clarify, if I were to leave Plusnet, downgrade to Pay As You Go Standard, and retain hosting for the one domain I already have, I would be charged the £30/year hosting fee?
Basically, I'm just looking for a solution along the lines of 1&1's Instant Mail at £0.69 per domain – I'm aware of JustMail hiding under the Madasafish brand, but that's somewhat more expensive and nowhere near as flexible (it doesn't even allow a domain to be used with it, as far as I can tell).
Edit: another question… I'm currently on Plusnet Value, thus, would I be permitted to host a second domain with my broadband account? I understand that Value doesn't generally offer any hosting with it, but seeing as hosting is already active on the account for the domain I already own, would it be a problem to add a second domain's hosting too?
(In case you're wondering why one minute I'm asking about leaving PN and the next about adding another domain to my Value account, it's because I think I'd like to get a new domain up and running soon, whilst the stuff about leaving Plusnet is more me just me trying to be aware of my options if I do decide to leave in the future.)
itsme
Grafter

Another option if it's just for email and you have control of the DNS is google apps standard edition which is free http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en-GB/group/index.html
Be3G
Grafter

Hmm thanks for that. I remember investigating it some months ago and deciding it wasn't suitable… only, I can't remember why now. Huh
itsme
Grafter

Have not used it myself so can't give my opinion. Did start to set it up last week following some instructions to use it as an MX backup. Even changed lower priority MX records to point to google apps. Then read that after I had a server outage I have to change the email client from my server to google apps server to retrieve the emails. So not a true MX backup. But may look a it again if I decide not to run my own server.
Be3G
Grafter

Could I have the answers to my two questions four posts ago please when someone's got a moment or few?