cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem configuring CNAME entry to point PN domain to jimdo site

starrynight

Problem configuring CNAME entry to point PN domain to jimdo site

I have a domain purchased through Easily but now registered and hosted on PN.
I have created a new jimdo site and want to point the domain to that site.
I have followed  jimdo instructions for DNS settings and it's not working.
If my domain is abcde.co.uk and I want it to go to abcde.jimdo.com, what is the correct CNAME configuration I need?
I have been told to do:
www.abcde.co.uk. CNAME abcde.jimdo.com.  Nothing happens. I still get the PN placeholder page.
I have tried it without the www in the left field. What about the full stops at the end?
I raised a ticket but haven't had a response yet and it's quite urgent.
thanks
10 REPLIES 10
itsme
Grafter

Re: Problem configuring CNAME entry to point PN domain to jimdo site

Left field will be www (no full stop)
Type CNAME
Right field abcde.jimdo.com. (with full stop after com otherwise abcde.co.uk will be tagged on to the end)
edit this will redirect www.abcde.co.uk to abcde.jimdo.com the base domain of abcde.co.uk can't be redirected so this has to be done by changing the A record
starrynight

Thanks itsme.
Still no luck  though :(. And still waiting for response to ticket despite a conversation this morning that promised it would be escalated. I think 3 days is too a long time to take to respond.
I'm not technical enough to progress it further, and don't understand the A record business (" this will redirect www.abcde.co.uk to abcde.jimdo.com the base domain of abcde.co.uk can't be redirected so this has to be done by changing the A record"
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The change to the DNS record will not be instant - It could take 24 hours to propogate.
Assuming you're using Windows, open a command prompt and type:
nslookup www.abcde.co.uk
nslookup www.abcde.jimdo.com
If the results are the same then your CNAME change has worked.
I'm assuming the Jimdo tools allow you to set an alias for www.abcde.jimdo.com to be www.abcde.co.uk as well?
starrynight

Thank you pwatson.
Yes, jimdo pro allows the alias but the domain first has to be connected..... which is where I'm stuck. 
The lookup tells me they are different - abcde.co.uk is still at homepages.plus.net which is where it was previously (although no website was loaded there). It does give me some IP addresses but I'm not technical enough to do anything with those.
Ho hum.
I do appreciate your responses. Still none from Plusnet yet though.....
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

How long is it since you submitted the change in the Domain names control panel? I think Plusnet apply queued DNS changes on hosted domains only once each 24 hours. (DNS changes on account-based domain names are applied more frequently.)
David
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

From the time between your messages on here, I think you aren't waiting long enough. The DNS on our side normally updates in 6-8 hours, however it can take 24-48 hours to update externally to Plusnet.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
starrynight

Thanks Chris however there must be a problem somewhere still. I had a response from support team, they say the CNAME entry is now right  (as originally entered) but 4 days later, I still get the plusnet placeholder.
So I don't understand. It's frustrating as I need this website to appear when I type in its address, obviously. I could change the servers from plusnet to jimdo but then I would have to change all my email etc, wouldn't I?
starrynight

This is still not resolved. Plusnet tell me it is correctly configured. but it's still pointing to plusnet after 2 weeks!!! Angry
Jimdo say they can't help until registrar corrects the entry.
I bought my domain through Easily but tranferred to plusnet as I was going to use PN webspace - but never did.
So can I transfer it back to Easily and configure DNS records through them? Will that help?
Any ideas, anyone? I'm very frustrated now.
thanks
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It would be easier to help if you could give the real domain names involved...
starrynight

OK, after nearly 3 weeks I seem to have done this and don't know quite why or how as the support from PN and Jimdo has kept saying the same thing over and over but the results haven't shown up.
They kept telling me to wait 48 hours.... even after 36 hours nothing changed.
The only thing that now seems to make this work is www CNAME www.abcde.jimdo.com . Although this was tried previously there may have been another CNAME also set up by PN.
I hope this might be useful for others in similar position.
Following the jimdo instructions to set www.abcde.co.uk CNAME www.abcde.jimdo.com didn't work.
Setting an A record didn't work and although attempted by PN support, wasn't recommended by jimdo, so I took that off.
From various conversations via phone and support tickets (promised phone calls not received, tickets not answered for 4-5 days), it seems that PN really don't 'do' domains any more and staff don't know that much about them. As a complete amateur, I assumed they would know more than me but I have now learnt quite a lot!
I hope PN get their new centre and staff up to speed as I really can't give a good score on customer service based on this experience.