cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private section of websites - php sessions scripts

mal0z
Grafter

Private section of websites - php sessions scripts

Although I've managed many society websites for many years - I've never been asked or had the need to provide 'private members only pages.
I'm proficient in html/css/ a fair bit of php and some JS and the use of Dream-weaver CS3  to manage the site - but using code view 95%.
I was hoping CS5 would have it built in but that's a few months away.
I know I need a php script package to restrict access to certain pages.
Can anyone please recommend a good reliable one - no need for anything secure enough to handle credit/debit cards etc - just to keep all but the most determined out.
I have googled and there is a lot it just made me more undecided.
Many
5 REPLIES 5
Gabe
Grafter

Re: Private section of websites - php sessions scripts

Would .htpasswd control be sufficient?
Gabe
mal0z
Grafter

That just uses a password you give to all members does it not. ? - And no session control is there so if you go to a password protected page and out and then to another password protected area - you have to put in the password again ? ?
What I meant is the system that uses php /mySQL with a full database f members with their individual passwords - it can keep a session open until user logs out or doesn't access a page within a certain time - just like this SMF forum software uses .
Gabe
Grafter

It relies on caching within a browser session, so you can move from page to page and in and out without re-entering a password. No, it can't log users out after a set time. The password file can contain a list of passwords. As a slight elaboration, you can script the writing of the password file. It offers a "basic" level of keep-outishness.
My own DIY solutions may be a bit OTT, including encrypting the password client-side. I'm afraid I haven't used anything off-the-peg, so hope someone else can recommend.
Gabe
jimjim
Dabbler

Hi
Try  http://www.locked-area.com/features.php, ; it  works  very  well  on  my  own site .  Pre defined scripts,  mySQL database  driven or  simple  text  file, admin  panel, user account  manager,  user stats etc.  Just  leave the  copyright  notice  alone and  its free.  I  had  no  probs  setting  it  all  up,  once  you  have  the  correct  paths  for  PN ccgi.myspace.  It  uses  ht.access.  Give it a try, 
Smiley jim
mal0z
Grafter

That looks promising - many thanks.
I am moving slowly - so will evaluate and come back in a while.
cheers
Mal