Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Premise Environment Jargon

FIXED
Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

Premise Environment Jargon

Can someone please explain what these Premise Environment information mean from the Broadband Availability Checker?

premis environ.png

4 REPLIES 4
daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

Re: Premise Environment Jargon

@Leapy 

Hi. Do a web search for "broadband VRI" etc

Dave

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@daveplus  I did and it said 

VRI

Voice Reinjection Voice re-injection (VRI) is where CPs use a fibre connection to deliver analogue voice services to the customer over their extension wiring. Their equipment will typically include an Analogue Telephony Adapter (ATA) port on their Hub/Router. Think of this like a voice port on each router.

NTE

Network Terminating Equipment. Equipment that is located in the home or office. Examples are set top boxes and LAN.

and I coundn't  find the other one (a Bridge Tap) at https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/aboutus/glossary.do 

But I'm not really much the wiser. I was hoping for some simple lay terms

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Fix

@Leapy  A bridge tap is usually incorrect wiring in the premises where there is an unterminated branch off the incoming line, also known as star wiring. It can cause reflections that interfere with the xDSL signal giving poor speeds. Having seen your other posts and the diabolical wiring setup that you have with apparently no master socket connected I wouldn't be surprised if you have a bridge tap even though it isn't shown on the checker results. I don't think you got the message from @MisterW  in your other thread and I quote "It couldn't possibly have been done by an, even bad, BT engineer." (i.e. no BT employee would have done it)  So it certainly was a botched cowboy job.🙄

NTE faceplate is precisely that, is a filtered faceplate installed on the master socket, for my line that test shows the wrong result.

VRI not relevant as it only applies to full fibre (FTTP) where analogue phone signals are sent from the ONT or router to the home phone wiring. This was the BT FVA (fibre voice access) system which I believe is no longer supplied.

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@RealAleMadrid Concise and plain English too. I'm wiser. Thank you. That's a fix Wink