cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poisoned web sites - is mine infected?

Pancho
Grafter

Poisoned web sites - is mine infected?

I have just installed AVG Free Version 8 and noted this message. The number of poisoned web sites is increasing. 1 in 1000 web pages are infected with malicious drive-by downloads (source IDG News). While AVG might protect me while surfing the net what about my site on Plus? Is there any way I can check my site out on the server to see if it is OK? I don't want to become one of them. Does Plus have a scanner installed that will pick this out and either clear out the problem and/or advise me of the situation? Does Plus even care about this? Who knows; there is never any mention of it.
6 REPLIES 6
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Poisoned web sites - is mine infected?

PlusNet do not have a scanner and you are the only one responsible for your webspace.
I am not aware of any software you can download that will check a website for such things.
Is this a dynamic (i.e. php/MySQL) based website or just html. If the latter, the likelihood of you getting compromised is much less. If yo use a forum or blog software just make sure it is always up to date with patches/fixes/new versions as they are the most likely candidates for being compromised.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If you have a look here http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/25/mass_web_attack_grows/ you will see a number of searches which may help.
Pancho
Grafter

Thank you for the replies.
glyndev
Grafter

If AVG 8 protects you while you are surfing, surely it will protect you while you are surfing your own site and inform you of any problems.
Or am I being a bit naieve with my thinking on that
Pancho
Grafter

Thanks; that is a good idea. Would take some time to look at every page of my website with IE but I could check all those links while I am doing it to see if any have gone dead.
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Why don't you use AVG to scan the local version of the server on your PC,
then delete the whole online site and upload it afresh.