cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pointing your plusnet domain to a Wix website - clear instructions!

mssavvy
Grafter

Pointing your plusnet domain to a Wix website - clear instructions!

Hi
After delving through plusnet's unclear support documentation on this and searching the forum, I managed to work out how to do this with no help from plusnet support who have still not replied to the ticket they told me I had to raise for this.
So I thought I'd post the correct DNS records for anyone else who is struggling with this to save them the time it's taken me to work it out!!!
In Member Centre - click on Domain names, then click on configure.
Under Domain Hosting Settings - select Other and submit it (button at bottom)
Then click on CONFIGURE DNS RECORDS
Under Create a new DNS record for yourdomain.co.uk (or .com or .org or whatever your extension), enter individually the next three instructions, NOTE every full stop in the below needs to be there for it to work and obviously you might be .com, .org etc ....
Left Field                                Type                  Pri                Right Field
yourdomain.co.uk.                    A                                                  23.236.62.147
www                                          CNAME                                        www50.wixdns.net.
m.yourdomain.co.uk              CNAME                                        www50.wixdns.net.

The last one is for mobile use.
Obviously at the Wix end you need to point the domain name to the site you've built and you can only do this when you purchase a premium account.
Hopefully this will help anyone in the future so they won't have to spend needless hours going through confusing support pages...

9 REPLIES 9
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Pointing your plusnet domain to a Wix website - clear instructions!

Thanks for taking the time to share your findings.
I've replied to your open support ticket BTW.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

oliverb
Grafter

I just tried it and I got a different "CNAME", "www150.wixdns.net", so I'm guessing not all accounts get assigned the same one?
Also the "A" record seems to just convert the URL to its "WWW" form and return a "301 Moved Permanently" redirect so if you already have a redirector set up you might not even need it.
Blacksmith04

I have followed the above procedure to point my domain to my wix website but to no success. Sorry for my lack of understanding in this, but how does the information sent by wix relate to the setup in Plusnet:
From the wix configuration, I get the following:

This domain does not point to Wix!
Domain Name:kent-trails.co.uk
Reason: Domain does not point to wix.com

Your pointing configuration, set up with your registrar or domain host (not in your Wix account) is incorrect.
To resolve this matter, please follow the instructions located here

Following the link, I also get:
To connect your domain to Wix, setup your name servers as follows:
ns14.wixdns.net (104.155.4.17)
ns15.wixdns.net (146.148.84.171)

How does this relate to the instructions from mssavvy? Does that in any case relate to the www50.wixdns.net.?
I have attached a screenshot of my DNS configuration from plusnet
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Support from the Plusnet chat was rather unsuccessful even pointing them to this thread!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Blacksmith04
To connect your domain to Wix, setup your name servers as follows:
ns14.wixdns.net (104.155.4.17)
ns15.wixdns.net (146.148.84.171)

How does this relate to the instructions from mssavvy?

It doesn't. You can't change your name servers if your domain is registered with us.
You need to wait for DNS to propagate (24-48 hours) as you've only just made your changes:
~$ dig www.kent-trails.co.uk
; <<>> DiG 9.3.4-P1.2 <<>> www.kent-trails.co.uk
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 26095
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.kent-trails.co.uk.         IN      A
;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.kent-trails.co.uk.  14400   IN      CNAME   homepages.plus.net.
homepages.plus.net.     17516   IN      A       212.159.8.91
homepages.plus.net.     17516   IN      A       212.159.9.91

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Blacksmith04

Thanks for this Bob. Wished other members of the support team could have just said so
mssavvy
Grafter

Hi
I got a message Blacksmith04 saying you'd replied to this post but no link! Eventually I've found it...
Here's what you need to put in including ALL full stops. Obviously your wix www addresses and ip address may be different, but just replace these with what you've been sent.
Left field Type           Pri                   Right field
yourwebsite.co.uk.     a         23.236.62.147
m.yourwebsite.co.uk cname www50.wixdns.net.
www                         cname www50.wixdns.net.
So that's a full stop at the end of your web address in the left field (no www or http:// needed)
A full stop after the wix url for both cnames in the right field.
No full stop after the www in the left field or the wix ip address in the right field.
There will be a delay before this works,  can't remember how long it was now, but it worked the same day for me and it's worked perfectly ever since!
Good luck
MsSavvy
mssavvy
Grafter

Another point to remember....
I built a first website in wix, however, if you have a site up already with the same domain name and you are changing this to point to your new wix site, remember to keep a note of all your current page urls - just copy and paste them onto notepad or something on your hard drive.
When your new wix site is live, set up 301 redirects on wix (you can do this via the dashboard, I think it's under SEO settings) from the old url to the new page that corresponds with it. This way you still get your google results to pages and instead of a 404 people get your new page.
Hope this helps someone...
Blacksmith04

MsSavvy,
Thanks for the confirmation. What I had not realised is where you got the ip address and your CNAME www50.wixdns.net from. I have now found this information on the wix subscription page in the 'Advance Domain summary'.
The IP address is identical to yours but CNAME is different: www87.wixdns.net. I have now modified this in my Plusnet domain configuration and will wait until all is transfered as per Bob's comments
oliverb
Grafter

Note that that "www" and "m" records don't need to be typed in full as the domain name is appended automatically.