woodey21
Dabbler

Pointing to a Domain in a folder on cgi space

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me.
I have a hosting account with Plus Net and have the following domain names:
www.cookercentre.com
www.agacentre.com
www.agacentre.co.uk
My main domain is www.cookercentre.com and because I needed to use .inc files I was told that I would need to point this domain to my cgi space for these files to function, which I did without a problem.
The problem comes when trying to upload to agacentre.com. I want to upload different files to that of cookercentre.com, so therefore I am assuming that I need to create a folder in my cgi space to hold these files. I was told by the Plus Net technical support that this is perfectly viable however they would not tell me how to do it. I have followed the tutorial on pointing a domain to a folder on the cgi bin however it does not seem to be working.
I created a .htaccess file with the following code:
(/agacentre/ being the folder I have created in the cgi space to upload the files)
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.agacentre.com$ [nc]
RewriteRule (.*) /agacentre/$1

At the moment all that www.agacentre.com is displaying is exactly the same as www.cookercentre.com.
I know the easy solution would be to buy separate hosting accounts for each domain however this is not possible as I don’t control the purse strings!!
Does anyone have a solution or are plus net leading up the garden path.

10 REPLIES 10
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Pointing to a Domain in a folder on cgi space

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1280.0.html may help although what you have done looks correct.
woodey21
Dabbler

Yep, that is the tutorial i followed, but to no avail, Am i correct in assuming that the settings in my control panel should be pointing www.agacentre.com to ccgi.plus.net. ?
apart from this i really don't know what to do....
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

When you say you are using .inc files, do you mean you are using SSI (Server Side Includes)? If so, whoever told you that you couldn't use them on the normal homepages (www) server and that you would have to use ccgi was talking out of his posterior! Sad
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

If so this explains how.
woodey21
Dabbler

Ok so i have set up a test page at www.agacentre.com/agacentre/index.html , but i still cannot point to this subfolder.
Currently www.agacentre.com is pointing to ccgi.plus.net,  and displays the same as www.cookercentre.com (which also points to the cgi space)I just want it to point www.agacentre.com to the next folder down(/agacentre/) can anyone suggest anything, or should i cut my loses and get separate hosting accounts. Its just annoying as plus net have told me it is possible but they wont tell me how its done or give me any help what so ever
woodey21
Dabbler

I have just looked at the Domain info for www.agacentre.com and is says it is locked, is that anything to do with anything or normal?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Why do you need your web sites on ccgi - are you using php, perl etc.?
NOTE: Using SSI and .inc pages is NOT a reason to move your sites to ccgi. I have my website on the main home pages server (not ccgi) - it has .inc files and the main pages include lines such as
<!--#include virtual="../bodytext/about.inc"-->

It works!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Quote from: Russ
I have just looked at the Domain info for www.agacentre.com and is says it is locked, is that anything to do with anything or normal?

No this is normal for .com domains and is part of the domain transfer protection in that it stops it being transferred to another registrar by someone else. It has nothing to do with pointing it at the ccgi webspace.
ffupi
Grafter

Hello
It makes me realy perplexed that the redirect with .htaccess does not work.
I tried it then on my own site, where two cms work realy nicely with the described redirect. Both cms' are php-based, though, no html.
However one issue I have identified is, that for whatever reason a index.htm or index.html does not work any longer when they are in such a re-directed-to directory.
I do not know what happened on ccgi? Did PlusNet do some changes?
Though, when index.htm or index.html are renamed to index.php (just change the ending) they work again, even when they are not php-files!
Anyone who can shed light on that? Huh Huh Huh
Prod_Man
Grafter

I have a feeling ffupi,
that when you use Apache Rewrite conditions in .htaccess,
that then over-rides defaults set down in the default Apache configuration settings for index files on that particular directory.
So perhapse try adding a .htaccess in the "site" folders' root which allows - index.htm / index.html / index.php and so forth, and see what happens.
I maybe wrong, or you may have tried that already,
just thought that maybe the reason/solution.
Jim,