cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pointing external domain name to Plusnet webspace

garywood84
Rising Star

Pointing external domain name to Plusnet webspace

I have Plusnet webspace as part of my broadband package, and now have a domain name with a third party provider. I want to configure the domain name to point to my Plusnet webspace. Where can I find the server names I need to do this?
6 REPLIES 6
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Pointing external domain name to Plusnet webspace

The How to transfer a domain guide gives the details you need. I assume you are seeking a hosting only transfer.
David
garywood84
Rising Star

Many thanks, spraxyt.
Yes, I think I do need a hosting only transfer. I want my domain to stay with the current third party provider, but have the website in my Plusnet webspace.
If I follow this process, it looks like once I've made the changes to the nameservers, Plusnet has to make some changes on its side after I raise a ticket. If that's the case, can I specify that I want the root folder to be a folder within my webspace, rather than the top-level of my webspace? That would be important because I already have a domain hosted by Plusnet that points to the root of the webspace.
Also, one other question - if I change the nameservers with my domain provider, will this have any effect on emails sent through the domain? I still want those to be routed as I've currently got them configured.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I believe hosting only transfers require a ticket to be raised because adding the new domain to your account is a manual process. Once added I assume it will show on your Domain names control panel in the Member Centre. Status will be Hosted, whereas status Registered and Hosted is shown for Full Control domains.
As you will see if you take a look at "Configure" settings for your existing domain, options available include all those you mentioned. I assume Plusnet will set them for you if you mention requirements on your ticket.
However are you sure the third party registrar will continue to provide a mail service once hosting of your domain is moved to Plusnet?
David
garywood84
Rising Star

Thanks, spraxyt - that's really helpful.
Quote from: spraxyt
However are you sure the third party registrar will continue to provide a mail service once hosting of your domain is moved to Plusnet?

No, but they're not hosting it at the moment. Mail sent to my current provider is delivered to a mailserver provided by another company. I want my mail to continue being delivered there, whilst my website will be hosted in the Plusnet webspace. I think that should be possible? I'll contact the domain provider's support team and check this before I proceed, though.
garywood84
Rising Star

I've asked my domain provider, and if I change the nameservers, this will affect my email, and I'd need to configure mailboxes at Plusnet to handle it.
However, the domain provider has advised that if Plusnet can give me the IP address for my website, an A record can be added to my domain which will point it to the Plusnet server, and mail will then not be affected. So, does anyone now if I can get the IP address of the server that's hosting my webspace?
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Because account webspace is on shared servers its IP addresses are not unique to you. Providing a domain alias for your webspace requires that to be entered into the server configuration. This would be a manual process which as mentioned here the Plusnet system is not configured to support.
In essence using Plusnet hosting with DNS records provided elsewhere is not supported.
The advice concerning mail given by your "domain provider" suggests that currently they do host your mail service though forward emails elsewhere after receipt. That could also be set up on Plusnet though would result in account mail to that mailbox also being forwarded.
David