cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnets dynamic IP's, not so dynamic IP anymore

Mars2050
Rising Star

Plusnets dynamic IP's, not so dynamic IP anymore

I have been with Plusnet for a while now and when I first came on board, plusnets dynamic IP's were very dynamic. I would often get different ranges from the 87 to the 146 range of IP's. Since plusnet from this year, around August time, said they were changing to their own equipment, I never seem to get any 146. ranges anymore.

I used to get either 46 or 146 every two or three changes, which i preferred them IP addresses but now, I just keep being given rages in the 8*.***  something something range and getting bit fed up with it.

It's these ranges that appear more often than not now.

87.112. ***.***

87.114.***.***

87.115.***.***

84.*** something

I remember when I had IP's that were from madasafish and some other plusnet IP's, when they bought these ISP's out. What happened to them?

Plusnet seems to have become more sticky IP now within the same ranges. Is Plusnet short of dynamic IP's and dynamic IP ranges or something? Have you removed the 146 or 46 range? If so, why?

I find many of the 87 ranges, poor performing and often get connected to bad access racks, which plusnet still can't sort out. Plusnet please bring back you old ranges, IP's or buy some new ones!

14 REPLIES 14
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Plusnets dynamic IP's, not so dynamic IP anymore

Maybe there aren't enough IPV4 addresses to go round anymore.

I take your point about the 146x and 46x ranges being less problematic than the 87x and 84x ones. Luckily I have a 146x at the moment.

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

IIRC, dynamic IPs are no longer issued centrally on "the new network", but blocks of addresses are farmed out to local devices. This means that there is a much smaller pool left for those not yet transferred (and those who have transferred are more likely to get an "almost static" IP).

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

I believe I read the pools were now distributed around bts network geographicallly, so before you hit any of Plusnet's gateways and could get almost any of the ranges they had depending on gateway load.

Now you hit a local node which will have enough ips for your area, which means when you reboot much less chance someone else has been given your old ip and you get it back, and much less
Chance of different block ranges as they are all spread out etc

Not sure it is a sign of running out of v4 addresses more one of decentralisation (which is actually good for us as distributed the reliability from a central point to decentralised!)
Mars2050
Rising Star

I can not see plusnet issuing blocks of addresses as they would run out faster like that. Blocks of addresses would be for businesses and not viable on consumer broadband, that is meant to be dynamic IP

I called plusnet on New years day and I have been told I am on the new network. PN said that the 146, 46 IP's are on the new network but it does appear that plusnet are running out of IP's.  I asked them to buy some new ones and PN even opened ticket about it but as normal, no reply after 7 days.

As for not getting IP's with say, madasafish, were told that the IP with that name on would of been renamed to plusnet. So that explains that.

I am still getting these 8 range IP's all the time and am getting fed up with it. Plusnet have gone down hill fast and if PN just can't admit there new network is screwed up or they need to buy some more IP's, then this is really poor service from PN.

I bet that BT infinity is more dynamic IP now than plusnet?

If customers you want a very dynamic IP, then Plusnet is not the ISP for you. Find another one.

Mars2050
Rising Star

We aren't running out of IPv4 addresses, that just media scaremongering. There is plenty of IPv4 and I want to stick with it. All my equipment is IPv4, so not buying new stuff. Plus IPV6 is more privacy infringing.

It's incompetent PlusNet that is running out of IP's and they can't be bothered, to buy some new ranges. PN are trying to cut corners and save on costs, while they sell there ridiculously cheap £2.99 style broadband.

MrSilver
Pro

I have yet to see anything that says plusnet is running out of ips?

Previously on the bngs we connected and different bngs had different pools and you could hit any bng/ag

New network no bng (unless static ip) and so it looks like we terminate in BT's network and get routed to plusnet. That means ip ranges now become geographic when they weren't before.

we also know from forum threads plusnet has been putting new ip ranges on for a while too.

Would love to understand your logic that plusnet is running out of ips as I don't get it at the moment ...
Mars2050
Rising Star

Well you will now understand why, as I were right and plusnet replied after I complained of no reply.

Plusnet said this on my ticket and use running low on IPv4, as some excuses when like, as I said above.

I am only quoting these parts for privacy and no name of the CS agent.

As you have stated our company is running out of IP ranges, unfortunately this isn't something we can facilitate with haste.

As you may know our business is running low on IPV4 IP address' and this will be difficult to acquire new ones as this is the norm within the communication industry.

So there you have it, from the horse's mouth and I were correct.Grin

MrSilver
Pro

still zero linkage between plusnet using pools of addresses more locally and the assetrion that is because they are running out of IP addresses.

The only point we need to worry about plusnet running out of IPs is when we try to connect and cant get on as there are no IPs left. 

I'm sure plusnet would acquire IPs well before that as that would be service outage at that point.

An IP is an IP you dont get allocated dynamic or static from RIPE, that is just how plusnet chose to use them, 

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I suspect the actual IP address you get has little to do with any perceived problems with the new network.

Probably the only reason Plusnet have dynamic IP addresses is so that they can charge extra if you want a static one. It doesn't make any difference to the number of IP addresses required.

PeeGee
Pro

The original concept re: dynamic IPs was based on situations where, at any one point in time, a smaller number of devices would be connected than were allowed to connect, so addresses for every device were not needed. This generally worked without problems when "dial up" was the norm, but "always on" doesn't fit the pattern. If pushed, PN would probably say the charge for a static address is for changing the server tables to allocated the address to a specific device - it is still issued through the dynamic address mechanism.

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The static IP address wouldn't be allocated to a specific device - it would be linked to the customer account. Yes I expect Plusnet would come up with any rubbish to explain what the charge is supposedly for. It costs exactly £5 based on the number of keystrokes and mouse clicks that someone has to make to do the static IP.

PeeGee
Pro

@ejs wrote:

The static IP address wouldn't be allocated to a specific device - it would be linked to the customer account.

Oops! switching thoughts in mid process again Embarrassed

Phil

MrSilver
Pro

it would probably be both to be honest. You cant allocate too many statics randomly across different gateways as ever route will need advertising out to which gateway it will need to come back on, so I'd assume plusnet woute group them in to sensible size subnets, put them on a device and a second for resilience, and when you log in it gets allocated dynamically still, but steers you to a specific gateway. 

I think that is why people with a static IP don't bounce between different BNGs at least or your routing tables would be full of individual routes.

PeeGee
Pro

@MrSilver wrote:

I think that is why people with a static IP don't bounce between different BNGs at least or your routing tables would be full of individual routes.

I haven't noticed that effect -during the last year I have had 40 changes with a mix of pcl/ptn/ptw and agxx/bngxx and one (the last) psb-bngxx. Some of these were (multiple) forced to get a more stable, 2Mbps faster download, agxx gateway.

Phil