cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnets IP's Now reveal your Location, to close to home. Security and privacy risk

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Plusnets IP's Now reveal your Location, to close to home. Security and privacy risk

@Mars2050 wrote:
This is down to Plus net using BT equipment, so will see if any other ISP has this issue.

It's down to all sorts of things, many outside of our control. Incidentally, many of the IP ranges on the 'new' network are the very same ones that were in use on the 'old' network.

Sorry you see this as an issue and feel you need to find another ISP because of it. You'll want to avoid BT because much of their network is routed in a similar way.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Plusnets IP's Now reveal your Location, to close to home. Security and privacy risk

I used to show as either :

Central London,

Sheffield

Somewhere out over near Newent

Now I seem to always be round Manchester for speed tests.

http://www.tcpiputils.com puts me in in Leighton Buzzard

http://iplocationtools.com puts me in Peterborough.

http://www.ip-tracker.org puts me in Macclesfield

I am on a fixed IP

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I'm on a dynamic IP and I'm variously in Wrexham - North Wales; Ashbourne - Kent or just over the bridge from Big Ben.  Closest guess is only 40 miles out.

Should I be concerned.  CheesyGrin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SteveA
Pro

iplocationtools now puts me in Settle

Nearest location is over 55 miles away

Mars2050
Rising Star

Well still no further forward at the moment. I contacted PN again but the adviser who is looking into this were not in today. Need to wait for him to get back.

The adviser on the phone agreed with me. It also does seem that the right hand don't know what the left hand is doing at PN. I mentioned about the BT cache and even though PN said above, it is not in operation yet, the adviser today said, that and new network, is likely the reason. So what one is it? Huh

Maybe this from kits forum has something to do with this, not so great new network as well.

Plusnet move to Dedicated WBMC Network
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=16711.0

My home location is still showing but don't know if what gateway I'm connect to, makes any difference now, on the new network. http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/

I am on, core2-hu0-18-0-0.southbank.ukcore.bt.net

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The caches are not currently in use, and I'm not sure what you're hoping to achieve in contacting our support team? The situation is as me and another member of staff have commented in this thread.

We're not going to redesign our network, and without meaning disrespect, it could be argued that your concerns are a bit of a non-issue.

You may be happier on a static IP as that will tunnel you back to our 'old' LNS's. There's no guarantee it will change anything though.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

7up
Community Veteran

@Mars2050 wrote:

The adviser on the phone agreed with me. 

I did tell you previously that you can not trust PN call centre staff for accuracy. They are known to make blunders and frankly in a busy call centre environment, who can blame them. 

You for whatever reason are determined to see the situation how you want to see it and use incorrect and false ammo to win the arguement.

I am telling you now that @bobpullen ranks far higher than the call centre staff and knows the PN setup much better than you or any of his staff. I say that after having had several spats with him myself years ago - so i have no reason to lie to you.. although you're not going to believe me anyway Roll_eyes

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Mars2050
Rising Star

Bob you may think this is a none issue but me and others like me, who value their security, privacy, think so. Your locations data is known that, this data gets used and abused by bad governments, who snoop on it’s citizens, while using fake terrorism as some excuse to do so.

Bob I have an idea. Please post your full name and address on this public Plusnet forum for all to see. This should be a none issue for you right? What’s that I hear you muttering bob, you don’t want to as it’s private data and may expose you to fraud?

Well then bob, now you should fully understand why I don’t want my home place, location broadcast for all to see. Considering it wasn’t showing prior to your new bad network changes. Your location data can be linked to many things. What if you search for something embarrassing? They have more chance of knowing more and where you live in this situation, than before.

I bet plusnet never raised any objection to the snoopers charter? Which you as an ISP, know you have to store a years worth of data on broadband customers and pay out to do so. Give them an inch and they will take a mile!

It’s ignorance and people who don’t understand or care about what data, that gets exposes or how it is used by governments in the wrong way and abused.

This new network is unacceptable revealing peoples home locations to close to home. If you want to lose customers over this kind of security breach, then just carry on.

I won’t tolerate it OK and thanks to PN, I may have to use a VPN for time being, until I find a reputable ISP. I wish people would wake up.Sad

SteveA
Pro

Bob I have an idea. Please post your full name and address on this public Plusnet forum for all to see. This should be a none issue for you right? What’s that I hear you muttering bob, you don’t want to as it’s private data and may expose you to fraud?

There is a huge difference between a full name and address and IP location down to a town level.

Given that on a fixed IP address location based IP systems put me all over the place but Firefox (if I allow it) knows where I am with a hell of a lot more accuracy than any IP address lookup ever will do  (Firefox puts me to within 100 feet of where I am) I really think that you're worrying about the wrong things..

Any ISP that uses the new BT infrastructure will show the same "privacy concerns" that you have with PlusNet.

7up
Community Veteran

Mars2050, see my red within your quote.

@Mars2050 wrote:

Bob you may think this is a none issue but me and others like me, who value their security, privacy, think so. Your locations data is known that, this data gets used and abused by bad governments, who snoop on it’s citizens, while using fake terrorism as some excuse to do so.

If they wanted to snoop on you, they'd already be doing so. MI5/6 & GCHQ have the capability to eavesdrop on peoples communications and have done for years - even through the post office. They know who you are, they already know where you are and they know most of your secrets. Has anything happened to you? - Where is the black van with blacked out windows? - Cos I doubt its in your neighbourhood.

Come on, someones full address is not the same thing as the town they may be located in. As many here have pointed out, they're frequently shown in the wrong towns so there is no guarantee that anyone would be able to get accurate information anyway.

Well then bob, now you should fully understand why I don’t want my home place, location broadcast for all to see. Plusnet are not broadcasting it. As explained to you so many times already, other organisations are gathering this information. Plusnet have not compiled a database of peoples IPs, addresses and towns and then released it into the wild. Get a grip here because your paranoia is clearly in overdrive. Considering it wasn’t showing prior to your new bad network changes. Your location data can be linked to many things. What if you search for something embarrassing? What.. like fluffy bum ticklers? They have more chance of knowing more and where you live in this situation, than before.

1) They (whoever they are) have no idea WHO you are

2) They cannot be sure the town is even accurate

3) Why does it even matter? - Do you think someone is going to come round your house and put a big banner over your house showing your search history or something?

I bet plusnet never raised any objection to the snoopers charter? Which you as an ISP, know you have to store a years worth of data on broadband customers and pay out to do so. Give them an inch and they will take a mile!

From memory they have to store a list of phone numbers, URLs & email addresses. I don't think that involves the actual content though. Either way, what on earth does this have to do with 3rd party companies like google calculating your location? - You're just taking a poke at plusnet because you think this gives you a bit more leverage. You need to get real because it just makes you look silly and secondly they're not going to undo their network changes just to keep you happy.

It’s ignorance and people who don’t understand or care about what data, that gets exposes or how it is used by governments in the wrong way and abused.

Trust me many here do care, we're just careful about how we live our lives. The odds are your local branch of Tesco knows more about you via its clubcard than some company on the internet ever will.

This new network is unacceptable revealing peoples home locations to close to home. DO YOU EVER FLAMING LISTEN??? It is not the new network revealing anything. It's GOOGLE, MOBILE PHONES, 3RD PARTY APPS etc that are TAKING ADVANTAGE of the way it works. If you want to lose customers over this kind of security breach, then just carry on. They won't. The average customer doesn't even realise this is happening - not that there is much plusnet could really do to change it. They're just the minions within BT. Most customers wouldn't be bothered anyway to be totally honest. Sure you'll get the odd few like you who get their knickers in a twist but most folks are too busy doing their daily thing to even worry about it. The odd few dropping off here and there won't really worry plusnet.

What I don't understand is how on earth you live with cookies? - they're on almost every website and are a much bigger threat - the EU said so and so they made a law about the use of them. You're not fussed about that though are you and you're also not taking a jab at PN for them being allowed to slip through your http connection either - but technically it's plusnet that are sending them to you - so why aren't you kicking up a stink here too? - It's the same principle. 3rd party companies TAKING ADVANTAGE of the way the http protocol works.

You realise that by storing your user preferences in a cookie someone might steal your credit card data right? - or your mobile phone number, they might hack your email....Crazy3

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Mars2050
Rising Star

You still don't get it and you still make generalization about me, when you no nothing or what I do, don't do. For one, you could not be more wrong, as I don't use a poxy Tesco club card or any other waste of space club card. Same reasons you said as well. I clear my cookies all the time thank you so not an issue.

Once again this has nothing to do with google search but google knows I logged in from London for years. Now it tells me I am logging in from an unknown location because of the changes I don't want, for Christ sake!

I am entitled to get second opinions and there are some discrepancy's in what is being said. Your posts as in other thread are not helpful and just trolling. Even though I don't agree with some of what PN staff has said, there posts are more helpful than yours!

I am going to call you out as a CIA shill, because your tactics to try and discredit what I am saying, make me look like I am wrong, are classic tactics in what shills like you do!

agent%2Bin%2Bplace

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Mars2050 wrote:

Silly idea. As others have said, posting my exact address is not tantamount to a geolocation company identifying your town/locality.

Your location data can be linked to many things. What if you search for something embarrassing? They have more chance of knowing more and where you live in this situation, than before.

Who is 'they'? If you routinely log into your Google account like your subsequent post alludes to, then they probably already have your exact address. That's without having to rely on any information born from where our data centres/interconnects are physically located. In fact, chances are Google has the majority of your historic search history saved right here.

It’s ignorance...

I admire your vivacity, but please try and accept some of the stuff you're being told in this thread. It's fairly well informed.

This new network is unacceptable revealing peoples home locations to close to home. If you want to lose customers over this kind of security breach, then just carry on.

Our network is not revealing cutomers' home addresses, and neither does what you're describing amount to a security breach.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Anonymous
Not applicable

Best not to feed the trolls, I'm sure you've all got better things to do.

custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I agree. Since fact and logical argument is clearly being ignored there is little point in continuing this discussion!

rodgerroy1

Thought I post to say how much I am liking this thread, that I checked iplocationtools.com and saw my postcode is wrong, its 3 or 4 miles away and IP address is located near a well known Audenshaw Reservoir off the M60 so that's wrong too,I have a small video camera so if Plusnet does not believe me, I can show footage,My fibre connection/internet has been hacked for years,by someone with a BT homehub 3 router,he keeps trying to get on the wifi,I am on a Plusnet hub one no 2,My hacker used malware on the 1,My connection needs investigation seriously even Google say its being used at more than one location,also says I am with BT.But I haven't got a problem with Plusnet getting more closer,it will keep hackers out...