cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnets IP's Now reveal your Location, to close to home. Security and privacy risk

Mars2050
Rising Star

Re: Plusnets IP's Now reveal your Location, to close to home. Security and privacy risk

7up at this moment In time I have no wireless router on. It's a cold hard wired connection. 

It don't have to pin point your street as you put it, if it's in the same town, city, village as said, it is a security risk and to close to home. That's what my OP is all about. If you don't believe me, then that is up to you.

The adviser knows what I were taking about and the adviser said they would not like it either and is a security risk. The advisers spoke with another department who confirmed what I have been saying as in above post. Just more info is needed.

Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Plusnets IP's Now reveal your Location, to close to home. Security and privacy risk

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

Two posts released from Spam Filter and duplicates removed. 

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

How is it a security risk?

Sure it gives the town away.. At least it isn't your street. Google often pin points me on the map - literally. THAT is a security risk.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Mars2050
Rising Star

Sorry mav but like the other member said and in my posts above. The post is up now anyway, so don't need more than one. Smiley

7up It is a security risk as it's too close to home. It appears you have not read my OP. I say there and most who understand this, will agree. If you don't have an issue with plusnet showing your home location, then really this thread is not for you. it's for the security conscious and for other members to confirm or not, if they have the same issue as me and want something done about it.

At the moment I have to wait for more info and could take a week or more.

As I were saying in my other post but removed as thought that's why it needed approval, The only way round this at the moment, is to use a VPN, which I would rather not use.

KevMac1
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Hi all,

I think we can clear up the questions in this thread :

As we are now moving to a new network as mentioned in numerous other threads, the IP that you are assigned is part of a range that will have been assigned to the BT Edge router within a BT exchange, typically in the same town/city as the end user. These IPs are fixed to that device and will not move to another exchange. There are around 2000 exchanges with these devices in.

Neither ourselves or BT give out geo-location information on these IP addresses beyond them being in the UK, however it may be as this particular range of IPs are given to users connecting to this device , the geo-location providers have worked out people connecting are always in a similar location, but I can assure you we have nothing to do with the data like this the providers give. These providers do give some examples of how they workout locations out on their websites, but their sources and methods are generally closely guarded.

@Mars2050, I can advise you that your circuit was moved onto the new network on the 10th March.

In respect of the BT cache, although we will be using these in the future, we are not at the moment. Again, using these caches would not be able to provide any information regarding geo-location.

I hope this clears things up.

Thanks

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

As I said in post #3, it's Google!

Here's a radical suggestion for @Mars2050- if you don't like Google tracking you, don't use any of their services.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

And also stop all other previous users of your IP addresses from giving away their locations.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Mars2050 wrote:
It's a pity bob pullen plus net staff, could not of respond to this, instead of giving you thumbs up to that incorrect post.

I've nothing to add really beyond what @KevMac1 has advised a few posts back. Your connection will route through one of a number of MSE's that are geographically located but beyond that, there is nothing sinister at play.

I would advise any customers considering joining plus net, not to join if you value your privacy,security, while plus net continue to screw up releasing it's customers real Geo location, on it's wired broadband services. Crazy2

You're misunderstood. When we register IP's with the Internet registry, we'll typically use our head office address as can be seen in the attached registry lookup. Geolocation providers will use lots of data beyond this to determine where you are, and as others have alluded to, it's not an exact science. Neither does it have much to do with Plusnet.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

7up
Community Veteran

@Mars2050 wrote:

7up It is a security risk as it's too close to home. It appears you have not read my OP. I say there and most who understand this, will agree. If you don't have an issue with plusnet showing your home location, then really this thread is not for you. it's for the security conscious and for other members to confirm or not, if they have the same issue as me and want something done about it.

And as I pointed out, the TOWN is not your HOME location.

Secondly as I pointed out, OTHER PEOPLES DEVICES are collecting Geographical information. BobP and the other member of staff have just told you the same thing. Unfortunately unless you stop your ENTIRE TOWN from collecting this information via their phones, this WILL NOT CHANGE.

I gave you a very long explanation as to how this was working and how your neighbours devices could be reporting your location, you chose to ignore it and continue to insist that plusnet are deliberately breaching the data protection act. You're apparently the expert yet plusnet have just told you themselves how its working and how it is beyond their control.

So if you don't like it, use VPN, mobile broadband, public WiFi... whatever. Just stop ignoring those of us who are giving you genuine advice about how it is working. You've just been told that your exchange is using a pool of IP addresses that will have almost certainly have had their geographical locations reported previously by other peoples devices so I trust that you are now happy to accept what I told you previously?

FYI it doesn't even need to be google collecting it. Any app on your or someone elses phone in your town could be collecting geographical information (remember some people leave their GPS turned on - I do).

You're hard work mate.. you really are.

7up
Community Veteran

@Browni wrote:

As I said in post #3, it's Google!

Here's a radical suggestion for @Mars2050- if you don't like Google tracking you, don't use any of their services.

I get the impression he's still not going to believe it..

custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

If you are browsing the web and don't want the website to know who you are then use a VPN but make sure that the Browser does not know who you are to start with. The Opera Browser is fine with VPN enabled. However if like many you think it is possible to use the Internet and remain anonymous then you are mistaken - it is not.Using almost any App, Social Network, Email or messaging system, all can identify you. Every time you use the Internet no matter how you do it your connection is logged and can be traced to your exact location and the device you are using. Even Email will normally tell the recipient the device type and the operating system and often your account details.True Web anonymity does not exist!

Mars2050
Rising Star

@bobpullen wrote:

You're misunderstood. When we register IP's with the Internet registry, we'll typically use our head office address as can be seen in the attached registry lookup. Geolocation providers will use lots of data beyond this to determine where you are, and as others have alluded to, it's not an exact science. Neither does it have much to do with Plusnet.

Bob That is not why I said that, I know they are registered to plusnet or BT. I were talking about showing the area you live in as in my OP ,why customers should not join.

I don't like this new network and want to be put back on the old one. From that list, my place is on there and no wonder my home place is showing, because it now connects to BT routers in the exchange.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/MSE_locations.htm

I now have a new IP due to a power cut and does show the same. Only thing is, shows me as a Tesco store but that not the point. Something 7Up does not understand. 7Up thinks I connect with a stupid smart phone and use wireless that can and do revel your location.  Never heard of a desktop PC or laptop with a wired router.

This is down to Plus net using BT equipment, so will see if any other ISP has this issue.

7up
Community Veteran

@Mars2050 wrote:

Something 7Up does not understand. 7Up thinks I connect with a stupid smart phone and use wireless that can and do revel your location.  Never heard of a desktop PC or laptop with a wired router.

This is down to Plus net using BT equipment, so will see if any other ISP has this issue.

What is wrong with you? - I said that your phone was a possibility yes - if it connects to your wifi. I didn't say it was definitely your flaming phone. Did you not read anything about what I said about your neighbours and their phones? - Get a grip of yourself. Yes I have heard of a desktop with a wired connection - I'm using one right now myself it's just hard to believe that there are many of us out there these days. But like I said, if others in your area are letting their phones report their location you're already done for - as mentioned above pools of IPs being used int he same town.. it's only a matter of time before each IP is picked up as belonging to the same town..The previous users of your IP (maybe weeks ago) have clearly given away their location - which then reflects on you when you use that IP.

TRY TO UNDERSTAND THAT PLEASE INSTEAD OF TWISTING IT.

How do you think any other ISP avoids this problem? - I suppose they might not be allocating pools of IPs to each town.. but they all serve their data through BT exchanges and phone lines.. you need to remember that.

You've got your knickers in a knot because 3rd party websites / companies such as google have been secretly compiling a database of IPs and locations. You've blamed the wrong people. Refused to accept the answers given to you and you've twisted explanations around to shift the focus away from yourself. GET A GRIP.

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

@corringham wrote:

Which storyteller did you get that from?

From one I used to work for 😉

But your post is pretty accurate with regard to Google's information - that can often give a precise location. The only practicable way to hide your location is to use a VPN, and that isn't foolproof.

Using a VPN and then connecting to TOR may not be foolproof but it will make it difficult and time consuming tracking you down

We are born into history and history is born into us.
7up
Community Veteran

It would be easier just to use a VPN direct to russia. At that point whatever you put out onto the internet is going to be untraceable to the western world... assuming of course that VPNs are themselves untouched by the CIA.. which I somehow doubt.