cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet website

mal0z
Grafter

Plusnet website

OK - I'm being a bit cheaky - sorry  Grin Grin  and maybe wrong forum categary but:
I Use Firefox and have web-developer installed
http://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/
when accessing Plusnet website it contantly tells me of errors on the Plusnet website - mainly css errors - looking at them some are fairly fundermental - and surprising on a web site with IT professionals  Smiley
Mind you - good to see that the CSS print styles have been improved so printouts are a lot better than when I joined.
6 REPLIES 6
geewizz
Grafter

Re: Plusnet website

I don't think that cost is the problem so they won't be "fundermental" issues.
hadden
Grafter

I think at least some of the css "errors" could be IE hacks?
...without which those poor mortals with IE would not see the world as the PlusNet IT Professionals intended.
Ianwild
Grafter

You got it JohnJ - Producing lab perfect HTML basically ain't possible in a world where you have to support different browsers that interpret the same code with such wild inconsistancies.
It's a good discussion though. Tell us the things *you* think are wrong from there mal0z and we'll either try to explain, or try to fix it.
Ian
mal0z
Grafter

Quote from: Ian
You got it JohnJ - Producing lab perfect HTML basically ain't possible in a world where you have to support different browsers that interpret the same code with such wild inconsistancies.
It's a good discussion though. Tell us the things *you* think are wrong from there mal0z and we'll either try to explain, or try to fix it.
Ian

OK - I picked a few, there are many more shown up on http://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/ ;    :  Wink

ul.lSquare {
list-style-type: disc !important;
font-size: 10pt;
margin: 0 0 0 12px;
margin: 0 0 0 16px !johnny;
padding: 0 0 0 15px;
}

johnny Huh
++++++++++
.dCSCAlertBoxClose {
color: #fff;
font-size: 11px;
font-weight: none;
}
font-weight: none; Huh

++++++++++
.glossline{
background-color:#EDEDED; padding: 3px 4px;
color:#000;
font-family:Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;
font-size:16px;
font-weight:bold;
font-color:black;
}
font-color:black;  ?????   
+++++++++++++
.hwtable th {
padding: 5;
}
padding: 5px;  Huh
++++++++++++++
#providerform input.submitbutton, .providerform input.submitbutton
{
background-color: none;
border: none;
color: #665964;}
background-color: none; ????
+++++++++++
div.tabs-rounded, div.content-rounded {
position: relative;
float: left;
background: url('/images/brand_refresh/home_page/main-content-rounded.gif') top center no-repeat;
width: 625px;
min-height: 10px;
/* IE 6/7 height */
height:auto !important;
height:10px;
margin-bottom: 15px;
*margin-bottom: 5px;
}
*margin-bottom: 5px;  Huh
+++++

.text-small{
color:#666666;
font-size:0.28cm;
font-famliy:Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;
font-famliy:    ????Huh
++++
A.text-small:hover{
font-size:0.28cm;
text-decoration:bold;
font-famliy:Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;

text-decoration:bold;   ??????

Then did a check with validator
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css21&warning=0&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.plus.net%2...

hadden
Grafter

Mmm... I think even I'd be embarrassed about the "font-color" one...  Embarrassed
However, I really hope there are still some real tricks in the list and look forward to reading the response from the authors?
PS. Although I mentioned IE hacks in my earlier post, I wouldn't agree with using IE hacks and don't use them... I usually try to look for another work around or dumb down the design to match the MS world.

mal0z
Grafter

Quote from: JohnJ
PS. Although I mentioned IE hacks in my earlier post, I wouldn't agree with using IE hacks and don't use them... I usually try to look for another work around or dumb down the design to match the MS world.

I've been advised to put any IE fixes - into a specific css file - so they are easy to find - and hopefully delete when finally MS make a decent browser
then link them with
<!--[if lt IE 7]>
<link href="/css/main_ie.css"
etcetc